Afton K. and L. Sid Shreeve autobiographical information
File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 2100
Scope and Contents
Includes "The Land Shadowing with Wings," by Lyman S. Shreeve, a compilation of correspondence, 1955-1991; reports, news clippings, and narrative. The account briefly documents his early life in St. Johns, Arizona, 1915-1930s; Latter-day Saint mission to Argentina, 1936-1938; second mission to Argentina, accompanied by his wife, 1945-1948; service as mission president in Uruguay and Paraguay, 1951-1955; work as director of Utah Society for Crippled Children and Adults, 1956-1959; work as director of the Binational Center for the United States Information Agency (USIA) in Valparaiso, Chile, 1959, Monterrey, Mexico, 1961, and Montevideo, Uruguay, 1962-1964; work on the Brigham Young University faculty, teaching Spanish, 1965-1980; coordinator for BYU Latin American studies, 1967; service as president of Spanish-speaking branch at Missionary Training Center, 1976-1980; Latter-day Saint mission in the Chicago South Mission, 1980-1982; work with BYU semester abroad program at University of Salamanca, Spain, 1982; part-time work at BYU, 1982; mission to Provo Utah Temple, 1983-1987; service at Missionary Training Center in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1986-1987, and at MTC in Bogota, Columbia, 1992. Includes narrative information about David O. McKay's visit to Uruguay, 1952; Peruvian earthquake, 1970; and Project Mexico, 1972. Also includes information on early life of author's wife, Afton Kartchner, in Snowflake, Arizona; Albuquerque, New Mexico; Springerville, Arizona; and Eagar, Arizona, 1916-1930s. The papers also include an excerpt from an oral history concerning the couple's service n the Chicago South Mission, and a few certificates awarded to Lyman S. Shreeve.
- Shreeve, L. Sid (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Autobiographical information must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
3 folders (0.3 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Shreeve, Lyman Sid; 1999.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Argentina Buenos Aires Missionary Training Center
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Columbia Bogota Missionary Training Center
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Illinois Chicago South Mission
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- McKay, David O. (David Oman), 1873-1970
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Paraguay
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Uruguay
- Mormon missionaries -- Argentina
- Mormons -- Arizona
- Mormons -- Mexico
- Mormons -- Paraguay
- Mormons -- Uruguay
- Oral histories
- Register of Afton K. and L. Sid Shreeve autobiographical information
- Rose Frank
- 19 April 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.