William Addington Martindale papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photocopies of the original materials documenting the history of Duncan's Retreat, Utah, biographical information on William Addington Martindale, journal entries from William Martindale, and photographs. The folders are contained in one box.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Addington Martindale papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
William Addington Martindale, son of James and Elizabeth Addington Martindale, was born June 11, 1814 in Washington, Wayne County, Indiana. He joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on January 20, 1840. He served several missions throughout his life, including one to Texas which included a visit to Lyman Wight to see if he was ready to return to the Church. He died February 14, 1873 in Duncans Retreat, located in Southern Utah.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSSSC3101.xml
The original material remained with the family until the photocopies were donated to the BYU L. Tom Perry Special Collections in March 2001. All original materials remain with the Martindale family.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donation; Dawn C. Martindale.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Originals
All collection materials--Martindale family.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Nebraska--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Texas--History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Missions--Louisiana--History
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Duncans Retreat (Utah) -- History
- Duncans Retreat (Utah) -- Maps
- Grand Bluff (Tex.) -- History
- Grantsville (Utah) -- History
- Greenwood (La.) -- History
- History -- Alquina (Ind.)
- Local histories -- Utah -- Duncans Retreat
- Martindale family
- Martindale, William Addington, 1814-1873
- Missions and Missionaries
- Omaha (Neb.) -- History
- Panola County (Tex.) -- History
- Washington County (Utah) -- History
- Register of William Addington Martindale papers
- Rose Frank
- 18 March 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States