Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Existence: 1978 - 1997
Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels, local all the way up to international. Directors for Public Communications included Paul C. Richards (1978-1991), Margaret Smoot (1991-1994), Brent Harker (1994-1997). In 1997, Lee Bartlett assumed control of Public Communications and the name was changed to University Communications.
The main function and purpose of Public Communications was to act as the official university channel for interacting with mass media at local, state, regional, national, and international levels. This meaning they worked with broadcasting on campus, various publications including BYU Today, and Fine Arts News and Features.
The director of Public Communication reported to the president of University Relations. In 1992, with the creation of the Vice-President of Advancement, Public Communications was then under the care of Ronald G. Hyde, Vice-President of Advancement.
Prior to 1978 this unit was called the Brigham Young University News Bureau (1952-1978). The organization has been called University Communications ever since 1997 when the Public Communications Department was abolished.
Citation:University Communications records, 1921-2009 (Brigham Young University, Public Communications)
BYU organizational history, via WWW, Mar. 12, 2013 (Public Communications; previously known as the News Bureau, renamed in 1978; reports to the university administration; responsible for overseeing university mass media; name changed to University Communications in 1997)
Found in 118 Collections and/or Records:
Contains publications, slides, proposals, exhibit packets, newspaper clippings, news releases, books, photographs, publicity, notices, and other materials for and related to the Ramses II exhibition at Brigham Young University in 1985. Other topics include Ramses in schools, Egyptian DNA, and registration response forms for CASE District VII Chief Advisements Officers' Seminar and an exhibition catalog.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and proposals concerning the department of Religious Education from 1969 to 1999. FARMS, the Archaeology of the Scriptures Symposium, Ancient Scripture and Church History and Doctrine, the New World Archaeology Foundation, and the Nauvoo Symposium.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, campus memorandums, letters, and reports concerning self-study, self-study budget, facilities and resources, benchmarks, and various other topics of study done by or related to Brigham Young University from 1971 to 2003.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and correspondence concerning Bonneville radio, Cougar cable television, KBYU-FM, and KBYU-TV at Brigham Young University from 1978 to 1995.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, correspondence, and photographs concerning the Alumni Association from 1952 to 1997. Material topics include Alumni achievements, awards, college, distinguished service award and association, the Association itself, Aspen Grove, Cougar Club, Peterson Professorship, Presidents/Officers, and Student Alumni Association.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, photographs, calendars, concerning the various departments within the College of Fine Arts and Communications from 1968 to 1999. Material topics include music, theatre, dance, art, productions, the Museum of Art, performing groups, showcases, archives, competitions, the Language and Intercultural Research Center, Maeser awards, Miss BYU, Miss Indian BYU, Young Ambassadors, Summerfest, Piano Festival, and Freedom Festival.