Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Existence: 1978 - 1997
Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels, local all the way up to international. Directors for Public Communications included Paul C. Richards (1978-1991), Margaret Smoot (1991-1994), Brent Harker (1994-1997). In 1997, Lee Bartlett assumed control of Public Communications and the name was changed to University Communications.
The main function and purpose of Public Communications was to act as the official university channel for interacting with mass media at local, state, regional, national, and international levels. This meaning they worked with broadcasting on campus, various publications including BYU Today, and Fine Arts News and Features.
The director of Public Communication reported to the president of University Relations. In 1992, with the creation of the Vice-President of Advancement, Public Communications was then under the care of Ronald G. Hyde, Vice-President of Advancement.
Prior to 1978 this unit was called the Brigham Young University News Bureau (1952-1978). The organization has been called University Communications ever since 1997 when the Public Communications Department was abolished.
Citation:University Communications records, 1921-2009 (Brigham Young University, Public Communications)
BYU organizational history, via WWW, Mar. 12, 2013 (Public Communications; previously known as the News Bureau, renamed in 1978; reports to the university administration; responsible for overseeing university mass media; name changed to University Communications in 1997)
Found in 118 Collections and/or Records:
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning the department of Military Science from 1969 to 1987. Materials also concern the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), Army ROTC, ROTC's Veteran's Day Ceremony for alumni, AFROTC--Angel Flight 1987 (Bernard F. Fisher), and military week.
Contains newspaper clippings, photographs, and press releases regarding the Earth Science Museum at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah from 1987 to 1994.
University Communications files on the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies, 1984-1999
Contains newspaper clippings and press releases relating the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies records during 1984 to 1999.
Contains historical files of campus buildings in the form of newspaper clippings, news releases, dedicatory reports, correspondence, proposals, photographs, and slides, dating from 1962 to 2002. Materials relate to the design, building and dedication of various on-campus buildings. These buildings include the George H. Brimhall building, the Cougar Stadium, the Marriott Center, the Harris Fine Arts Center, and others.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, honor code editorials and columns, pamphlets, booklets, state clippings, and talks concerning the honor code and the Honor Council from 1962 to 1996.
University Communications files on the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology, 1961-1997
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning the J. Reuben Clark Law School from 1971 to 1997. Materials also relate to the dedication of the J. Reuben Clark Law School, the National Conference on Law and Education, the Federalist Society, Ernest L. Wilkinson (Chair of Law), and the Howard W. Hunter Law Library.
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning the Jerusalem Center from 1984 to 1997.
Contains press releases, newspaper clippings, and bound volumes concerning Mark Hofmann interviews conducted at the Utah State Prison in 1987. These interviews and other materials are related to a case involving forgeries of Mormon historical documents and bombings in Salt Lake City, Utah.