Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Existence: 1978 - 1997
Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels, local all the way up to international. Directors for Public Communications included Paul C. Richards (1978-1991), Margaret Smoot (1991-1994), Brent Harker (1994-1997). In 1997, Lee Bartlett assumed control of Public Communications and the name was changed to University Communications.
The main function and purpose of Public Communications was to act as the official university channel for interacting with mass media at local, state, regional, national, and international levels. This meaning they worked with broadcasting on campus, various publications including BYU Today, and Fine Arts News and Features.
The director of Public Communication reported to the president of University Relations. In 1992, with the creation of the Vice-President of Advancement, Public Communications was then under the care of Ronald G. Hyde, Vice-President of Advancement.
Prior to 1978 this unit was called the Brigham Young University News Bureau (1952-1978). The organization has been called University Communications ever since 1997 when the Public Communications Department was abolished.
Citation:University Communications records, 1921-2009 (Brigham Young University, Public Communications)
BYU organizational history, via WWW, Mar. 12, 2013 (Public Communications; previously known as the News Bureau, renamed in 1978; reports to the university administration; responsible for overseeing university mass media; name changed to University Communications in 1997)
Found in 118 Collections and/or Records:
Slides and negatives of Brigham Young University women's track related images. Dated 1975-2001.
Slides and negatives of Brigham Young University women's volleyball related images. Dated 1974-2000.
Slides and negatives of Brigham Young University wrestling related images. Dated 1966-2000.
Compiled by Janet J. Rex of Public Communications at Brigham Young University, the document gives summary information about each structure on the BYU campus, including date of construction, its uses, departments housed therein, dates of renovation (if applicable), and, in some instances, anecdotal information.
Contains newspaper clippings, press releases, and programs concerning the department of Financial Aid at Brigham Young University from 1973 to 1993.
Contains newspaper clippings from the Deseret News, Provo Herald, and Salt Lake Tribune concerning Brigham Young University from between 1951 and 1977. Also includes recruiting correspondence for women's intercollegiate volleyball for 1975 to 1984, and press releases for 1984 to 1987.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, applications, lists, and correspondence concerning the department of Admission and Records at Brigham Young University from 1969 to 1997. Material topics include records management, registration, research division, the American College Test (ACT), financial aid, graduates, and admissions.
Contains biographical records, speeches, photographs, newspaper and magazine clippings, and general documents related to former faculty; important visitors to Brigham Young University; individuals with ties to the University; and Church, mission, and University presidents. Materials date from 1959 to 2000.
Contains newspaper clippings, photographs, and press releases related to the Justice Administration Department from 1971 to 1977.