Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Existence: 1978 - 1997
Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels, local all the way up to international. Directors for Public Communications included Paul C. Richards (1978-1991), Margaret Smoot (1991-1994), Brent Harker (1994-1997). In 1997, Lee Bartlett assumed control of Public Communications and the name was changed to University Communications.
The main function and purpose of Public Communications was to act as the official university channel for interacting with mass media at local, state, regional, national, and international levels. This meaning they worked with broadcasting on campus, various publications including BYU Today, and Fine Arts News and Features.
The director of Public Communication reported to the president of University Relations. In 1992, with the creation of the Vice-President of Advancement, Public Communications was then under the care of Ronald G. Hyde, Vice-President of Advancement.
Prior to 1978 this unit was called the Brigham Young University News Bureau (1952-1978). The organization has been called University Communications ever since 1997 when the Public Communications Department was abolished.
Citation:University Communications records, 1921-2009 (Brigham Young University, Public Communications)
BYU organizational history, via WWW, Mar. 12, 2013 (Public Communications; previously known as the News Bureau, renamed in 1978; reports to the university administration; responsible for overseeing university mass media; name changed to University Communications in 1997)
Found in 118 Collections and/or Records:
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and photographs concerning homecoming. Materials date from 1979 to 1997.
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning the Honors and General education department from 1970 to 1986. Materials also concern help with vocational and major decisions, the Honors Program, the general education program, honors market of ideas, and the honors program general education learning center.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and photographs concerning housing and general service, law suits, resident assistants, concerning ACLU State clippings, Wymount Terrace, Deseret Towers, Helaman Halls, and Heritage Halls from 1954 to 1997.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, faculty data sheets, photographs, correspondence, biographical information and other materials relating to individual former faculty members from 1954 to 1999. Notable former faculty members include Jim "Dinosaur Jim" Jensen.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and photographs concerning the international office, international relations, international students, international week, cultural international series, the International Society, Chinese Student Association, and Center for International Area Studies from 1970 to 1992.
Contains newspaper clippings, news releases, and photographs relating to the Ironton steel plant in Provo, Utah from 1969 to 1976.
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases concerning Libraries at Brigham Young University from 1958 to 1998. Topics include the Glenn and Olive Nelson Library, the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, the building and administration of the Harold B. Lee Library, and Harold B. Lee Library friends, fund-raising and scholarships.
Contains newspaper clippings regarding feminists at Brigham Young University and in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1992 to 1996.
Contains letters, comments, guidelines, newspaper clippings, news releases, speeches, photographs, pamphlets, biographical information, and inauguration files concerning both general and individual presidential, faculty, and VIP files from 1954 to 2002.
Contains newspaper clippings and news releases dating from 1984 to 1995. Materials are related to Brigham young University (BYU) entities such as BYU printing, Burrelle's, public communications, university photographer, broadcast production, and print services.