Reed M. Izatt papers on the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, 1961-2004
Scope and Contents
Documents the history of the departments of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Brigham Young University. Materials include memos, meeting minutes, Izatt's faculty portraits, and department reports related to the routine activities of both the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Department of Chemistry from 1961-2004.
- Izatt, Reed M., 1926- (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Reed M. Izatt papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
Reed McNeil Izatt (1926- ) is a retired chemistry professor in Utah.
Reed McNeil Izatt was born in Logan, Utah on October 10, 1926. He was a chemistry professor at Brigham Young University from 1956-1993. He received his Bachelor of Sciences at Utah State University in 1951, his PhD. in Chemistry from Pennsylvania State University in 1954. He worked for two years at the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research from 1954 to 1956, when he joined the chemistry faculty at Brigham Young University. He focused his research on macrocyclic chemistry and calorimetry. He was influential in establishing Brigham Young University's Thermochemical Institute in 1969. He helped organize the Macrocycle Symposium that had chemists attend from all over the world since 1977. He also taught graduate and undergraduate classes at Brigham Young University and at the University of Pittsburgh. Izatt retired from the Brigham Young University in 1993.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (est. 1994) is a teaching unit at Brigham Young University.
It was previously known as the Department of Chemistry until 1994, when the name was changed to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
The Department of Chemistry (1920-1994) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Chemistry was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. In 1921 the department became part of the College of Arts and Sciences, and was later transferred to the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences in 1954. In 1973, the department was moved into the College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences. The department was disbanded in 1995 to form the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Department chairs included Charles E. Maw (1920-1945), Joseph K. Nicholes (1946-1956), H. Smith Broadbent (1955-1958), Keith P. Anderson (1958-1960); Albert D. Swenson (1960-1964); Loren C. Bryner (1964-1966); J. Rex Goates (1966-1968); K. LeRoi Nelson (1968-1972); Richard T. Hawkins (1973-1975); Eliot A. Butler (1975-1978); Nolan F. Mangelson (Acting Chair 1978-80, Chair 1980-1981); J. Bevan Ott (1981-1990); and Earl M. Woolley (1990-1994).
Language of Materials
Arranged electronically, but the materials have been left in their original order.
- Bradshaw, J. S.
- Brigham Young University. Center for Thermochemical Studies
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry
- Brigham Young University. Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Brigham Young University. Thermochemical Institute
- Educators -- Utah -- Provo -- Correspondence
- Infants -- Portraits
- Izatt, Reed M., 1926- -- Archives
- Universities and colleges -- Departments
- Carton: 12, Folder: 3-6 (Text)
- Carton: 13, Folder: 12-16 (Text)
- Carton: 18, Folder: 1-7 (Text)
- Carton: 20, Folder: 18-22 (Text)
- Carton: 21, Folder: 9-10 (Text)
- Carton: 22, Folder: 11-12 (Text)
- Carton: 25, Folder: 11 (Text)
- Carton: 26, Folder: 35-37 (Text)
- Carton: 29, Folder: 20-21 (Text)
- Carton: 30, Folder: 6 (Text)
- Carton: 39, Folder: 11-19 (Text)
- Carton: 41, Folder: 8-15,19 (Text)