Emma Lucy Gates Bowen papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, concert programs, music scores, and miscellaneous items. Includes correspondence of Bowen when she was in Germany as an opera singer from 1898 to 1914 and later when she was a voice and music teacher in Salt Lake City, Utah. Also included are letters from her husband, Albert E. Bowen from 1897 to 1923 and Lucy's agent, Catherine A. Bowman. Some of the materials relate to the Lucy Gates Opera Company.
- Bowen, Emma Lucy Gates, 1880-1951 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Emma Lucy Gates Bowen (1880-1951) was a Latter-day Saint American opera singer.
Emma Lucy Gates Bowen was born on November 5, 1880 to Jacob Forsberry Gates and Susan Amelia Young in St. George, Utah. She was a granddaughter of Brigham Young. She went to Germany to formally study music at age 16, and subsequentally joined several opera companies. In 1915, she formed the Lucy Gates Opera Company with her musician brother, B. Cecil Gates. The following year, she married Albert Ernest Bowen, who was later called as an apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Lucy continued performing until 1948. She died of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 30, 1951.
10 boxes (5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Photographs to photo archives.
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- Bowen, Albert E. (Albert Ernest), 1875-1953
- Bowen, Emma Lucy Gates, 1880-1951
- Bowman, C. A.
- Lucy Gates Opera Company
- Material Types
- Opera -- Utah -- History -- Sources
- Performing Arts
- Women musicians -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History -- Sources
- Women singers -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History -- Sources
- Register of Emma Lucy Gates Bowen papers
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 March 16
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.