Department of Communications records on American Society of Newspaper Editors, 1920-1995
Scope and Contents note
Contains revision drafts of "Gods Within the Machine: A History of the American Society of Newspaper Editors, 1923-1993," a study written by Brigham Young University communications professor Paul A. Pratte. Also contains related research records, including minutes, correspondence, the organization's bulletin, journal articles, and presidents' speeches and records, 1920-1995.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Communications (Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Department of Journalism (Organization)
- Pratte, Paul Alfred (author, Person)
- Brigham Young University. College of Arts and Sciences (Organization)
- Brigham Young University. School of Arts and Sciences (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Communications records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Brigham Young University School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921) was the administrative body over various departments of Brigham Young University.
The School of Arts and Sciences was established in 1920 with Martin P. Henderson as Dean. The purpose of the school was to give students a broad education in a variety a courses in selected fields. The students then were prepared for specialized study in their chosen profession or for specific work in the fields of industry. The organization administrated over the following departments: Agriculture, Art, Biology, Business Education, Chemistry, Economics and Sociology, English, Foreign Language, Geology and Geography, History and Political Science, Home Economics, Mathematics and Physics, Mechanics, Music, Physical Education, Public Speaking, Psychology, and Theology and Religion. The School of Arts and Sciences was abolished in 1921 and became the College of Arts and Sciences.
The College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1954) administered over various liberal education departments at Brigham Young University .
The College of Arts and Sciences, previously known as the School of Arts and Sciences, was established in 1921 to provide a broad liberal education for students. The college also provided specialized studies in engineering, medicine, law, religion, politics, and social leadership. In 1925, some of its departments were transferred into the newly-established College of Fine Arts. The College of Arts and Sciences continued to operate until 1954 when it split into three separate colleges: the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences, and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences. Between 1921 and 1954 the deans of the college were Martin P. Henderson, Carl F. Eyring, and George H. Hansen.
The Department of Journalism (1941-1964) oversaw journalism courses at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Journalism was established and placed in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1941. In 1954 the department was transferred to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The department was integrated into the newly formed Department of Communications in the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1964. The Dept. of Journalism was responsible for teaching: introduction to journalism, ethics of journalism, problems of citizenship, campus reporting, commercial art, news and news writing, editing and makeup, photography, news photography, editorials and editorial writing, special features articles, book reviewing, short story writing, radio broadcasting, advertising, problems of the Weekly Paper, publicity, and city reporting. By 1954 the department was also teaching: typography, mass communications, magazine writing, motion picture photography, and polls and surveys. Department chairs of the Department of Journalism included Harrison R. Merrill (1936-1938), Carlton Culmsee (1939-1944), T. Earl Pardoe (1945-1946), and Oliver R. Smith (1950-1961), and Jean R. Paulson (1961-1964).
The Department of Communications (1963- ) is responsible for communications courses under the College of Fine Arts and Communications at Brigham Young University.
The Department of Communications at Brigham Young University was established in 1963. Functioning under the College of Fine Arts and Communications, it is responsible for teaching public relations, advertising, marketing, journalism, and communications. Previously, communications courses were part of the Department of Journalism in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The organization functions to provide a professional program in communications which includes a broad base of general education, thorough orientation in the processes, functions and responsibilities of mass communication, and the development of skills in fact finding, analysis, and communication through the mass media. The department also seeks to provide service courses to help students from other departments develop desired communication skills.
Department chairs have included: Oliver R. Smith (1964-1966), J. Morris Richards (1966-1972), Edwin O. Haroldsen (1972-1975), M. Dallas Burnett (1975-1980); Brent D. Peterson (1980-1983), J. LaVar Bateman (1983-1986), Ralph D. Barney (1986-1987), Gordon Whiting (1987-1991), David P. Forsyth (1991-1996), Leonard L. Bartlett (1996-1998), Laurie J. Wilson (1998-2002), Michael K. Perkins (2002-2004), Edward E. Adams (2004-2008), and Bradley L. Rawlins (2008- ).
Language of Materials