Brigham Young University. College of Arts and Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1954) administered over various liberal education departments at Brigham Young University.
The College of Arts and Sciences, previously known as the School of Arts and Sciences, was established in 1921 to provide a broad liberal education for students. The college also provided specialized studies in engineering, medicine, law, religion, politics, and social leadership. In 1925, some of its departments were transferred into the newly-established College of Fine Arts. The College of Arts and Sciences continued to operate until 1954 when it split into three separate colleges: the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences, and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences. Between 1921 and 1954 the deans of the college were Martin P. Henderson, Carl F. Eyring, and George H. Hansen.
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project website, via WWW, May 4, 2012: College of Arts and Sciences (liberal education departments, 1921-1954, previously School of Arts and Sciences, specialized studies engineering, medicine, law, religion, politics, social leadership, 1925 departments transferred to College Fine Arts, 1954 split into College of Humanities and Social Sciences, the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences, and the College of Biological and Agricultural Sciences, deans Martin P. Hendersen, Carl F. Eyring, George H. Hansen)
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Collection includes summary of regular annual salaries of professors, associate professors and instructors.
Contains records related to the building projects of the Department of Communications, including brochures of funding information, funding proposals, and budgeting. Also contains pictures of project models and correspondence regarding the projects. Includes records about the planned Gordon B. Hinckley Communications Center, including a floor plan and details about conceptual design, as well as records on the Eagle Gate plaza and office towers and the Harris Fine Arts Center, 1920-1999.
Contains faculty files from the Department of Communications, including correspondence and lists of publications. Also contains curriculum vita as well as evaluations and employment recommendation records, 1953-1973.
Contains records relating to the Department of Communications, including records on the American Society of Newspaper Editors (ASNE) as well as building project records and meeting minutes. Also contains course materials, correspondence, and records on faculty members, 1920-1999.
Contains revision drafts of "Gods Within the Machine: A History of the American Society of Newspaper Editors, 1923-1993," a study written by Brigham Young University communications professor Paul A. Pratte. Also contains related research records, including minutes, correspondence, the organization's bulletin, journal articles, and presidents' speeches and records, 1920-1995.
Contains correspondence concerning research projects, annual department budgets, personal opinions as to the future of Brigham Young University. Also includes records of a farewell reception and address given in behalf of President and Mrs. Howard S. McDonald, 1943-1950.
Contains a holograph draft of a thesis concerning electric waves, written by Carl F. Eyring while attending Brigham Young University.
Contains lists, names, final test scores, student grades, and the curve used to determine the grades.
Contains correspondence, photographs, reports, a map, and news clippings concerning the College of Arts and Sciences, college policies, faculty, senior students and Utah's geology. Files belonged to George H. Hansen while serving as Acting Dean of College of Arts and Science from 1952 to 1954. Materials dated 1934 to 1959.