Ann Pitchforth collection
Scope and Contents
Collection includes correspondence of Samuel Jackson (born 1764) of Providence Green, Yorkshire, England; of his brothers, Richard and James; and of his son, Samuel (born circa 1803). Also includes letters by Ann Pitchforth, sister-in-law of the latter Samuel Jackson, and by others, mostly members of the Jackson family. The correspondence relates primarily to family and business concerns. Several of the Richard Jackson letters were written from Staten Island, New York, between 1810 and 1827. An 1845 letter from Ann Pitchforth to her parents, discusses her recent arrival in Nauvoo, Illinois, comments on conditions there, and makes reference to John Taylor. Includes a photocopy from the Millennial Star (15 July 1846) of another letter from Ann Pitchforth to Latter-day Saints on the Isle of Man. Also includes a reminiscence and diary of John T. Miller, Ann Pitchforth's grandson-in-law, dated circa 1898-1901, wherein he discusses his service in the LDS Swiss and German Mission, 1889-1891; teaching at the Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah, 1897-1900; and studies at the American Medical Missionary College in Battle Creek, Michigan. Miller's narrative includes several references to his interest in phrenology. The collection also includes genealogical information on the Jackson family, and a few other papers.
- Jackson, Richard (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Use of original manuscripts is restricted. Microfilm, photocopies, and transcriptions available for patron use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Born in Grantham, Lincolnshire, England. Married Soloman Pitchforth, 1824. Converted to Mormonism on the Isle of Man, circa 1840. Emigrated to Nauvoo, Illinois, 1845. Married LDS apostle John Taylor, January 1846. Died in Iowa, October 1846.
1 microfilm reel (0.1 linear ft.)
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Other Finding Aids
Finding aid available in repository.
Other Finding Aids
Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1374.xml
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Battle Creek Sanitarium (Battle Creek, Mich.)
- Brigham Young Academy -- Faculty
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Swiss and German Mission
- Jackson family -- Correspondence
- Jackson, Samuel, approximately 1803-approximately 1858
- Material Types
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Germany
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Germany -- History
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Switzerland
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Switzerland -- History
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- Correspondence
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Staten Island (New York, N.Y.)
- Taylor, John, 1808-1887
- Yorkshire (England)
- Register of Ann Pitchforth collection
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 6
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.