Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio
- Existence: 1953 - 1990
The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.
Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.
Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.
In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).
Citation:The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)
Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)
Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)
BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))
Found in 85 Collections and/or Records:
Flip chart describes the facilities of the Motion Picture Studio, its productions and their distribution.
Materials include 26 reels of film footage of the Brigham Young University campus. Digital copies of the film are also included in the form of 26 DVDs. Footage dates from 1949 to 1981 and is silent.
Collection of production records (productions stored in Motion Picture Studio vault), and The Stecheson Classified Song Directory. Dated 1960-1994.
Contains six reels: 35mm color interpositive, 35mm cyan color separation protective master, 35mm magenta color separation protective master, 35mm yellow color separation protective master, French composite 16mm magnetic soundtrack, Cantonese composite 16mm magnetic soundtrack.
Contains correspondence from 1979-1987 concerning the BYU Motion Picture Studio.
Collection of use-copy DVDs of the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio audio-visual materials collection. Contains DVDs of Motion Picture Studio productions, such as "Run Dick, Run Jane" Dated 1971-1999.
No more a stranger / [Brigham Young University] ; [producer, Wetzel O. Whitaker] ; [screenplay, Scott Whitaker], 1964
Film was released in 1964, and was produced by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The story focuses on the reception of a new family into a ward. The collection has one copy of the film on a film reel. Dated 1964.
Contains materials from the Brigham Young University-produced film on the U.S. Constitution, "A More Perfect Union." Materials include the script, correspondence, and research files, 1987-1988.
Typescript of an interview transcribed from the included audiocassettes. Whitaker was interviewed by Thomas Cheney on July 30, 1985. Whitaker talks about his experiences in making films with the Walt Disney Company and at the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Studio.