Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio
- Existence: 1953 - 1990
The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.
Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.
Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.
In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).
Citation:The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)
Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)
Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)
BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))
Found in 85 Collections and/or Records:
Collection of audio-visual materials from various Brigham Young University academic colleges and departments. Dated 1971-1995.
Collection of videocassettes and film reels from various colleges and departments including nutrition, engineering and technology, nursing, humanities symposium, and agriculture. Dated 1981-1995.
Contains DVD copies of film reels for the Church in Action series for the years 1971, 1974-1975, and 1978. The series was created for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. Started in 1970, the series covered events around the world, such as temple dedications, new countries opened, and general announcements of Church membership growth and development.
Collection of tapes and film reels concerning educational materials including symposia, ESL, master teacher series-BYU administration, skill analysis for elementary teachers in PE, USU teacher research training, leadership straining workshop, and department films. Dated 1971-1995.
Collection of audio-visual materials from departments within in the College of Family, Home, and Social Science, including history films concerning World War II. Dated 1980-1995.
Contains materials related to motion picture films and projects created by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. The materials include film reels, many of which are original cuts of films such as "The First Vision," "Uncle Ben," and "Curtain Time, U.S.A." The films typically have Mormon themes, dealing with Church history or providing religious instruction. The film reels are in 16 mm prints. Dated 1961 to 1983.
Contains materials related to motion picture films and projects created by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. The materials include film reels, many of which are original cuts of films such as "The First Vision," "Uncle Ben," and "Curtain Time, U.S.A." The films typically have Mormon themes, dealing with Church history or providing religious instruction. The materials are DVD copies of the film reels that are in 16 mm prints. Dated 1960 to 1982.
Contains the script, as well as a pamphlet designed by Church officials that highlights principles from the video that could be discussed in church meetings. Also includes a videocassette entitled Home Teaching Segments. Film was released in 1988, and was produced by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dated 1983.