Brigham Young University. Motion Picture Studio
- Existence: 1953 - 1990
The Motion Picture Studio (1953-1990) was a support unit at Brigham Young University. It produced documentary, historical, and training films for use of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and in schools.
Within the Motion Picture Production was the Film Development Advisory Committee. That committee's functions were to review and select subjects for motion pictures, to review motion picture proposals to consider whether they should be approved for production, to review motion picture scripts and make recommendations for changes if necessary, to review marketing studies made on proposed motion pictures, to review budgets for proposed motion pictures, and to evaluate the overall marketing and advertising programs for educational motion pictures.
Originally the Motion Picture Studio reported directly to the president of the university. In 1959, the director of the Motion Picture Studio began reporting to the director of Auxiliary Services. In 1960, Auxiliary Services became the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services. The director of the Motion Picture Studio reported to this Vice-President until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created. Thereafter the director reported to the director of Communication Services, the Instructional Services Division, and the Division of Instructional Production Services.
In 1991 the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moved the studio from Brigham Young University supervision to the Church. Directors of the Motion Picture Studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1990).
Citation:The Miracle of birth [VR] c1987: credit frame (Brigham Young University, Motion Picture Studio)
Phone call to the Studio, 5/7/97 (management of the Studio transferred to the LDS Church in 1990; official name changed to LDS Motion Picture Studio)
Ensign, Nov. 1987: p. 101 (BYU Motion Picture Studio)
BYU Organizational History Project, via WWW, Apr. 15, 2013 (BYU Motion Picture Production; BYU Motion Picture Studio; est. 1953; produced documentary, historical and training films for the LDS church and schools; included a Film Development Advisory committee, responsible for review and selection of subjects for films, approved productions, reviewed scripts and made recommendations for changes, reviewed marketing studies and budgets and evaluated marketing and advertising; studio originally reported to the university president; 1959, reported to the Auxiliary Services; reported to vice president until 1965 when the Division of Communications was created; then reported to director of Communication Services/Instructional Services Division/Division of Instructional Production Services; in 1991 the LDS church took over the studio; directors of the studio included Wetzel O. Whitaker (1953-1974), Jesse E. Stay (1974-1983), and Peter N. Johnson (1983-1991))
Found in 85 Collections and/or Records:
Contains scripts, cast sheets, premiere programs, financial records, and shooting plans. Press clippings, magazine articles, and reviews of the movie by viewers at Brigham Young University and by Church officials cover the reception of the film. Film was produced by the Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dated 1976-1977.
Contains the script and production notes for The Lost Manuscript. Film was released in 1974, and was made by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The script includes the original text and the revisions of the script.
Contains copies of the script, which was rewritten several times, including a version by Orson Scott Card. A list of cast and extras is also included, as well as a program for the premier at American Fork High School is included. Film was released in 1978, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. Copies of the various script revisions are included. The majority of the extras were from Brigham Young University. Dated 1977-1978.
Film was released in 1980, and includes footage of the dedication of the Monument to Women The collection has one copy on a film reel.
Collection of Art Department audio-visual materials including tracks for "My Neighbors," and the Museum of Art. Dated 1982-1995.
Collection of reels and videocassettes concerning the Computer Sciences Department. Dated 1988-1995.
Collection of audio-visual materials including "The Guilty," "Take Down," "Legacy of the Mountain Men," "John Baker's Last Race," and drama protection. Dated 1977.
Collection of videos and film reels of music and dance department films and performing groups, including "A Celebration of Christmas" and "Family Room," “Lovers and Liars,” “Cry to the Wind,” Music Makers, homecoming, women’s conference 1994, Arthur King Henry 1987, Dance Company, Music and the Spoken Word 1986, Young Ambassadors, theater/show production tapes including Cougar Band Philharmonic, and Primary Satellite. Dated 1972-1995.
Families are forever / [MCA Corporate Films] ; [producers, Stephen B. Allen, John G. Kinnear, L. Jay Monk, William N. Burch], 1982
Film was released in 1982, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. The story is of a family who is comforted by the idea that families can be together forever after a family member dies. Dated 1982.
Follow me / [Brigham Young University] ; [producer, Wetzel Whitaker] ; [screenplay, Scott Whitaker], 1983
Film was released in 1962, and was produced by Brigham Young University Motion Picture Department. It depicts a Christian family who learns to love others. The collection has one copy of on a film reel made in 1983.