Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Public Communications

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1978-1997

Administrative History

Public Communication was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels, local all the way up to international. Directors for Public Communications included Paul C. Richards (1978-1991), Margaret Smoot (1991-1994), Brent Harker (1994-1997). In 1997, Lee Bartlett assumed control of Public Communications and the name was changed to University Communications.

The main function and purpose of Public Communications was to act as the official university channel for interacting with mass media at local, state, regional, national, and international levels. This meaning they worked with broadcasting on campus, various publications including BYU Today, and Fine Arts News and Features.

The director of Public Communication reported to the president of University Relations. In 1992, with the creation of the Vice-President of Advancement, Public Communications was then under the care of Ronald G. Hyde, Vice-President of Advancement.

Prior to 1978 this unit was called the Brigham Young University News Bureau (1952-1978). The organization has been called University Communications ever since 1997 when the Public Communications Department was abolished.

Citation

University Communications records, 1921-2009 (Brigham Young University, Public Communications)

BYU organizational history, via WWW, Mar. 12, 2013 (Public Communications; previously known as the News Bureau, renamed in 1978; reports to the university administration; responsible for overseeing university mass media; name changed to University Communications in 1997)

Found in 99 Collections and/or Records:

A brief history of the Brigham Young University News Bureau

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA SC 116
Scope and Contents History of the public relations arm of BYU, formerly called the New Bureau, currently named Public Communications.
Dates: Publication: 1972

Broadcast Services audiotapes

 Collection — Carton: 1
Identifier: UA 5336
Scope and Contents note Includes two reel-to-reel tapes and 110 cassette tapes of programs and interviews produced by the Broadcast Media Relations Office in the Public Communications Department dated 1969-1977.
Dates: 1969-1977

BYU Photo negatives and contact sheets

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5754
Scope and Contents Negatives and contact prints of photographs produced by BYU Photo and its predecessors between 1968 and 2010. Includes images of university events, administrators, faculty, facilities, and performing groups.
Dates: 1968-2010

BYU Physical Facilities building histories

 Item — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 779
Scope and Contents Compiled by Janet J. Rex of Public Communications at Brigham Young University, the document gives summary information about each structure on the BYU campus, including date of construction, its uses, departments housed therein, dates of renovation (if applicable), and, in some instances, anecdotal information.
Dates: 1998

Clippings on Financial Aid, 1973-1993

 Sub-Series — Carton: 92
Identifier: UA 5395 Series 5 Sub-Series 23
Scope and Contents Contains newspaper clippings, press releases, and programs concerning the department of Financial Aid at Brigham Young University from 1973 to 1993.
Dates: 1973-1993

"ETD" contact sheets, 1976-2001

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5754 Series 2 Sub-Series 1

"ETD" negatives, 1976-2001

 Sub-Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 5754 Series 1 Sub-Series 1