BYU Photo photographs
Scope and Contents
Contains negatives, contact sheets, photograph prints, and transparencies of images produced by BYU Photo and its predecessors between 1875 and 2010, with the bulk produced between 1968 and 2002. Includes images of Brigham Young University events, campus scenes and buildings, administrators, faculty and staff, awards, visiting leadership from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and theater, dance, and other performing groups.
- Majority of material found within 1968-2002
- BYU Photo (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. University Photography (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. University Communications (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. Public Communications (creator, Organization)
- Brigham Young University. News Bureau (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research. Negatives and transparencies are condition restricted and kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Brigham Young University News Bureau was established around 1952 and was responsible for overseeing university news publications. The unit later became the Brigham Young University Public Communications Department in 1978.
Brigham Young University Public Communications was responsible for overseeing mass media on all levels at the university, including publications such as BYU Today. The unit became University Communications in 1997.
Biographical / Historical
University Communications (1997- ) is a department of Brigham Young University as of 2022, and is responsible for producing media resources, including publications such as BYU Today.
University Photography (2004-2009) was an administrative unit in the University Communications division of Brigham Young University. The unit was responsible for documenting university events and personnel. In 2009 it was renamed BYU Photo.
Biographical / Historical
BYU Photo (est. 2009) is an administrative unit at Brigham Young University responsible for documenting university events and personnel. The unit was previously named University Photography.
98 boxes (49 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Arranged in three series: 1. BYU Photo photographs of Entertainment Division, 1976-2001. 2. BYU Photo contact sheets and photographs, 1875-2001, bulk 1970-2001. 3. BYU Photo transparencies and recording, 1978-2010.
Materials transferred by BYU Photo to the repository in September 2017.
Photographs (University Archives Collection Development Policy, V.b.ii.2, October 2015).
Processed; Amanda Crandall and Karen Glenn; 2017-2022. Individual descriptions of images and photographer credit is indicated in series one. Corresponding contact sheets and prints are contained in series two without repeated description. A list of contact sheet and print image numbers corresponding to container numbers, matching the numbers in the negative series, can be requested in the reference room.
- Photograph development receipts
- BYU Photo
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Periodicals
- Brigham Young University. News Bureau
- Brigham Young University. Public Communications
- Brigham Young University. University Communications
- Brigham Young University. University Photography
- College administrators -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- College students -- Utah -- Provo -- Social life and customs
- College theater -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- Contact sheets
- Dance -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- Dance companies -- Utah -- Provo
- Performing arts -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs
- Photographers -- Utah
- Universities and colleges -- Awards
- Universities and colleges -- Employees
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Faculty
- Register of BYU Photo photographs
- Amanda Crandall
- 2019 July 16
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.