Joseph Smith Jr. articles of lease
Scope and Contents
Handwritten lease agreement between Jospeh Smith (1805-1844) and James Adams (d. 1843) and Elezer van Drezer dated 15 Nov. 1841. The manuscript is signed by Joseph Smith. The item leases the right to keep ferries across the Mississippi River from Nauvoo, Illinois to Zarahemla, Iowa for twenty years for the sum of $10,500.
- 1841 November 15
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Articles of lease must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
First president of the Mormon Church.
1 item (3 p.)
Language of Materials
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Adams, James, 1783-1843
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Ferries -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History -- Sources
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Presidents -- History
- Latter Day Saints -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Mississippi River -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Van Drezer, Elezer
- Register of Joseph Smith Jr. articles of lease
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 28
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.