I remember when
Scope and Contents
Autobiography details memories of his childhood in Salt Lake County, Utah; church service, including a Latter-day Saint Mission to the Central States, 1937-1939; attendance at BYU; service in the U.S. Navy during World War II; marriage; teaching LDS seminary in Logan and Salt Lake City, Utah; teaching LDS institute at University of Alberta (Canada) and Southern Utah University; employment at BYU; service as president of the Southwest Indian Mission; and service as president of Hawaii Temple Visitors' Center. Also contains significant information about his wife, Martha Afton Harris, their children, and other family members; and includes photographic images. Autobiographical sketch is included of his mother, Edith Mae Martin. Also inclues biographical sketches of his father, Ernest William Felt; grandfather, David Pile Felt; and great-grandparents, Mary Louise Pile, Nathaniel Henry Felt, and George Speirs.
- Martin, Edith Mae, 1891-1974 (Person)
- Felt, Paul E., 1916-1999 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from I remember when must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Paul E. Felt served in the following capacities at Brigham Young University: student body president, 1941-1942; student coordinator, 1957-1962; director of Indian Affairs, 1963-1971; College of Religion teacher, 1974-1981; and director of Israel semester abroad, 1980.
1 item (345 p.)(0.15 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Paul E. Felt passed away on 9 February 1999. His widow, Afton, gave a copy of his personal history to Brian Reeves on 9 March 1999, in response to the latter's request for documentation on Paul's life. The Archives previously received a copy of 13 pages from this autobiography (A98-208); the 13 pages were discarded.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; M. Afton Felt; 1999.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Brigham Young University -- Students
- Brigham Young University -- Faculty
- Brigham Young University. Indian Education Department
- Church Educational System (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii)
- Hawaii Temple (Laie, Hawaii)
- Home and Family
- Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Central States
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Southwest, New
- Mormons -- Biography
- Salt Lake County (Utah)
- Social Life and Customs
- World War, 1939-1945 -- United States -- Personal narratives
- Register of I remember when
- Benajmin Sipes
- 2010 December 17
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States