Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photocopies of missionary diaries of Emmett R. Hayes during his Mormon mission as the thirteenth missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter post-WWI Germany. Also contained are a series of photocopied outgoing letters from Emmett Hayes during this period to his family, primarily his parents. A small collection of mission-related ephemera is contained.
- approximately 1919-1928
- Hayes, Emmett R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Emmett Richards Hayes (1900-1973) became the thirteenth Mormon missionary to enter Germany directly after World War I.
Emmett Richards Hayes was born October 17, 1900, in Pleasant Grove, Utah. His parents were William Lehi Hayes and Harriet Asenath Richards. Hayes became the thirteenth missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to enter Germany directly after World War I. Hayes married Myrtle Adelhi Johnson on September 7, 1929, in Tijuana, Baja, California Norte, Mexico. Emmett R. Hayes died on May 16, 1973, in Los Angeles, California.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 half box (0.25 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Materials are left in their original order.
Donated by Emmett Hayes in 2004. Donated by Emmett Hayes in 2011.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Emmett Hayes; 2004. Donated; Emmett Hayes; 2011.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
Illustrates missionary life in post-WWI Germany.
Existence and Location of Originals
Originals of this collection remain with the donor.
Processed: Nicholas Walker, student manuscript processor; 2009. Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Germany--History--20th century
- Germany -- Church history -- 20th century
- Germany -- History -- 20th century
- Hayes, Emmett R.
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Diaries
- Printed ephemera
- Hayes, Emmett R. (Person)
- Register of Emmett R. Hayes missionary papers
- Nicholas Walker, student manuscript processor; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor; and John M. Murphy, curator
- 2009 June 23
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States