Oakley S. Evans photographs
Scope and Contents
Photograph album containing 286 photographs of Oakley Evans while he was attending Brigham Young University and participating in various student activities. Activities documented include football, tennis, basketball, Spring Festival, fall registration, pep rally, homecoming, boxing, skiing, dances, marching band, and swimming. There are also several photographs of buildings on campus, including the Maeser Memorial Building, the Heber J. Grant Library, and the Timpanogos Bowl. People identified in the pictures include Floyd Miller, Kyle Clark, Ellis Graham, Joe Swenson, Oakley Evans, Leona Romney, Bob Olson, Claude Snow, Harold Bateman, Rudger Jones, and others. Also contains photocopies of the original photograph album pages. Dated 1931 to 1936.
- Evans, Oakley S. (Oakley Spencer), 1913-1995 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open to public access. Original item kept in cold storage; access requires 24 hours advance notice.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oakley S. Evans (1913-1995) was a Mormon businessman in Utah.
Oakley Spencer Evans was born May 14, 1913 in Springville, Utah to Shirl Osborne Evans and Blanche Oakley Evans. He married Mabel Wilson on September 13, 1935 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.A. in business administration in 1935, and went on to work for the J.C. Penney Company for 37 years. He retired in 1972 as the Vice President and Director of Corporate Development. After retiring, Evans served as the president of ZCMI for ten years, as well as the president of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir from 1975 to 1984. Evans passed away March 21, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Mabel Wilson Evans in 1994.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donation; Mabel Wilson Evans; 1994.
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).
Processed; Lucy Brimhall; 2013.
Processed; Karen Glenn, 2021; Added photocopies in folder 2.
- Brigham Young University -- Sports -- Photographs
- Brigham Young University -- Buildings -- Photographs
- Brigham Young University -- Students -- Photographs
- Colleges and Universities
- Cougar Marching Band (Brigham Young University) -- Photographs
- Evans, Oakley S. (Oakley Spencer), 1913-1995
- Photograph albums
- Provo (Utah) -- Photographs
- Register of Oakley S. Evans photographs
- Lucy Brimhall
- 2013 April 5
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- 2021 March 5: Added photocopies in folder 2; Karen Glenn.