Richard W. Jackson papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of manuscript versions of religious articles produced by Jackson, including writings on the Creation, the Flood, the Crucifixion, and the Mormon pioneers. Also included is a translation of the Aalborn, Denmark History and the Writings of John Mills Wooley. Materials are dated 1976-2003.
- Jackson, Richard W. (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Richard W. Jackson papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Richard W. Jackson (1915-2010) was an architect and Mormon historian.
Richard Wooley Jackson was born on August 21, 1915, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to parents Samuel Andrew and Annie Iretta Wooley Jackson. He attended public schools in Salt Lake City as well as Latter-day Saint High School. He graduated from West High School in 1933 and later attended the University of Utah. He studied architecture at the University of California at Berkeley, where he received his architectural degree in 1943.
Jackson married Hazel Phillips on June 10, 1942, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and together had six children.
Early in his career as an architect, Dick was employed by the building department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For most of his professional life, he was in private practice. Much of his private practice involved the designing of Latter-day Saint meetinghouses. From 1961 to 1963, Dick interrupted his private practice to serve the Church in western Europe, overseeing the work of local architects in the construction of Mormon meetinghouses in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and France. During that time, he lived with his family in Naarden, the Netherlands. In 1969 Dick accepted an invitation to work again for the Church. Along with other duties, he had responsibilities for architectural oversight of Church historical buildings, participating in the renovation of the Newell K. Whitney Store in Kirtland, Ohio, the Grandin Building in Palmyra, New York, and the Church's developments at Fayette, New York. He retired in 1985.
He played flute for many years in the McCune Orchestra and was for a while the conductor of the Murray City Orchestra.
Jackson was a missionary in Denmark 1934-37. From 1982 to 1983, Dick and Hazel filled a Church service assignment in the Eldredge Ward of the South Salt Lake Stake, and they served a mission in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1989, where he designed and oversaw the construction of three buildings and assisted with other buildings and structures in Nauvoo and Carthage.
Richard W. Jackson died on April 16, 2010, in Salt Lake City, Utah.
3 folders (0.3 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated by Richard W. Jackson in installments in 2002 and 2005.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Richard W. Jackson; 2002.
Donated; Richard W. Jackson; 2005.
Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Register of Richard W. Jackson papers
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2011 June 9
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.