Skip to main content

Jackson, Richard W.

 Person

Dates

  • Existence: 1915-2010

Biographical History

Richard W. Jackson (1915-2010) was an architect and Mormon historian.

Richard Wooley Jackson was born on August 21, 1915, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to parents Samuel Andrew and Annie Iretta Wooley Jackson. He attended public schools in Salt Lake City as well as Latter-day Saint High School. He graduated from West High School in 1933 and later attended the University of Utah. He studied architecture at the University of California at Berkeley, where he received his architectural degree in 1943.

Jackson married Hazel Phillips on June 10, 1942, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and together had six children.

Early in his career as an architect, Dick was employed by the building department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For most of his professional life, he was in private practice. Much of his private practice involved the designing of Latter-day Saint meetinghouses. From 1961 to 1963, Dick interrupted his private practice to serve the Church in western Europe, overseeing the work of local architects in the construction of Mormon meetinghouses in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and France. During that time, he lived with his family in Naarden, the Netherlands. In 1969 Dick accepted an invitation to work again for the Church. Along with other duties, he had responsibilities for architectural oversight of Church historical buildings, participating in the renovation of the Newell K. Whitney Store in Kirtland, Ohio, the Grandin Building in Palmyra, New York, and the Church's developments at Fayette, New York. He retired in 1985.

He played flute for many years in the McCune Orchestra and was for a while the conductor of the Murray City Orchestra.

Jackson was a missionary in Denmark 1934-37. From 1982 to 1983, Dick and Hazel filled a Church service assignment in the Eldredge Ward of the South Salt Lake Stake, and they served a mission in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1989, where he designed and oversaw the construction of three buildings and assisted with other buildings and structures in Nauvoo and Carthage.

Richard W. Jackson died on April 16, 2010, in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Citation

Places of worship, c2003: t.p. (Richard W. Jackson) p. 466 (architect employed in the Building Dept. of the Mormon church from 1948 to retirement in 1985; at times in private practice with Jackson and Jackson, Architects and Engineers; Jackson and Sharp, Architects; and Jackson, Sharp, and Pinegar, Architects)

Deseret news, April 18, 2010 (Richard Wooley Jackson; b. Aug. 21, 1915, in Salt Lake City, Utah; parents: Samuel Andrew and Annie Iretta Wooley Jackson; attended public schools in Salt Lake City as well as Latter-day Saint High School; graduated from West High School in 1933 and later attended the University of Utah; studied architecture at the University of California at Berkeley, where he received his architectural degree in 1943; m. Hazel Phillips on June 10, 1942, in Salt Lake City, Utah, and together had six children; employed by the building department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; his private practice involved the designing of Latter-day Saint meetinghouses; from 1961 to 1963, Dick interrupted his private practice to serve the Church in western Europe, overseeing the work of local architects in the construction of LDS meetinghouses in Scandinavia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and France; lived with his family in Naarden, the Netherlands; in 1969 Dick accepted an invitation to work again for the Church; had responsibilities for architectural oversight of Church historical buildings, participating in the renovation of the Newell K. Whitney Store in Kirtland, Ohio, the Grandin Building in Palmyra, New York, and the Church's developments at Fayette, New York; retired in 1985; played flute for many years in the McCune Orchestra and was for a while the conductor of the Murray City Orchestra; was a missionary in Denmark 1934-37; 1982 to 1983, Dick and Hazel filled a Church service assignment in the Eldredge Ward of the South Salt Lake Stake, and they served a mission in Nauvoo, Illinois, in 1989, where he designed and oversaw the construction of three buildings and assisted with other buildings and structures in Nauvoo and Carthage; died on April 16, 2010, in Salt Lake City, Utah)

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Richard W. Jackson and P. Bradford Westwood collection of oral histories

 File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS 3804
Scope and Contents Typewritten and spiral bound transcript of interviews conducted by Richard W. Jackson and P. Bradford Westwood for the James Moyle Oral History Program. The interview between Ehlers and Jackson was initiated on the premise of a forth coming history of the LDS Church meeting house architecture. A follow up interview (conducted two years later) was conducted by P. Bradford Westwood, in hopes to gain clarification in certain areas from the initial interview.
Dates: 1986-1988

Richard W. Jackson papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 3701
Scope and Contents Collection consists of manuscript versions of religious articles produced by Jackson, including writings on the Creation, the Flood, the Crucifixion, and the Mormon pioneers. Also included is a translation of the Aalborn, Denmark History and the Writings of John Mills Wooley. Materials are dated 1976-2003.
Dates: 1976-2003

Mormon tabernacles : an historical exegesis 1847-1937

 File — Folder: 1
Identifier: MSS SC 2901
Scope and Contents Narrative includes historical and architectureal descriptions of Latter-day Saint (Mormon) tabernacles, primarily in Utah but also in Alberta, Canada; Idaho; Nevada; California; Hawaii; Iowa; Oregon; Colorado; Wyoming; and Arizona. Includes illustrations.
Dates: 1997

Utah and Mormon Architects' biographical files

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 2949
Abstract Contains biographical files for over 100 architects and architectural firms that practiced in Utah and/or for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The files vary from detailed to general, containing photocopies, bibliographic notes, articles and other research materials collected for over twenty years. The collection includes 35mm photographic slides, related to certain architects or firms. Also contains a list of architects generated by the Utah State Historical Society and a list...
Dates: approximately 1981-2005