James G. Duffin diaries
Scope and Contents
Handwritten and bound diaries. Also included are bound photocopies of the handwritten journals. The items are for the years 1887 through 1889 when Duffin served as a missionary for the Mormon Church in the Southern States Mission. The diaries also cover the years 1901 through 1906 when Duffin was president of the Southwestern States Mission (1900-1904) and of the Central States Mission (1904-1906) also for the Mormon Church. Duffin includes handwritten copies of letters both sent and received by him. He writes about the activities of the missions and mentions visits by Mormon Church leaders. He tells about a visit by John W. Taylor (13 Jan. 1905 entry), an apostle, who prophesied about the teachings of the first president of the Mormon Church, Joseph Smith (1805-1844), "Every principle through Joseph Smith will yet be demonstrated by science and will be in the text books."
- Duffin, James G. (James Glendhill) (Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Duffin (1860-1921) was a Utah State Legislator and local Mormon Church leader in Toquerville, Utah.
2 boxes (1 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Elaine Milson; 1977.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Duffin, James G. (James Glendhill) -- Diaries
- Electronic books
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Southern States -- History
- Latter Day Saint churches -- Missions -- Southwest, New
- Latter Day Saint missionaries -- Middle West -- History
- Latter Day Saints -- Middle West -- History -- Sources
- Missions and Missionaries
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Central States
- Mormon missionaries -- Southern States
- Mormons -- Southern States -- History
- Mormons -- Southwestern States -- History
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844 -- Teachings
- Taylor, John Whittaker, 1858-1916
- Register of James G. Duffin diaries
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 13
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.