Brigham Young University. Student Housing
- Existence: 1945 - 1979
Student Housing (1945-1979) was an administrative unit at Brigham Young University with responsibility for student on-campus and off-campus accommodations.
The Office of Student Housing was established in 1945 as part of Special Services, replacing an earlier faculty Committee on Student Housing. The office was charged with assisting students with finding housing, and with managing university student residences. By May 1953, the scope of these services had expanded significantly and the organization was moved out of Special Services to the newly established Auxiliary Services. In 1979 Student Housing was merged to form Housing and General Services.
Directors of Student Housing included John F. Jones (1945?-1953), Fred A. Schwendiman (1953-1968), Carl D. Jones (1968-1972), and Delyle Barton (1972-1979).
Citation:Brigham Young University organizational history, via WWW, May 5, 2020 (Student Housing; administrative unit at Brigham Young University charged with assisting students in finding university approved housing; merged to form Housing and General Services in 1979; directors included Fred A. Schwendiman (1954-1968), Carl D. Jones (1968-1972), and Delye Barton (1972-1979); unit initially reported to the director of Auxiliary Services; in 1960, reported to the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services, later the Vice-President of Auxiliary Services and Communication Services; in 1968, reported to the Vice-President of Business Affairs; in 1975, reported to the Vice-President of Support Services)
Brigham Young University, 1975: vol. 2 p. 432 (Student Housing established under Special Services in September 1945; previously managed by dean of students) vol. 2 p. 685 (responsibility for housing moved to newly established Auxiliary Services in May 1953 under Fred Schwendiman, marked professionalization of services)
Brigham Young University annual catalogue, 1945: p. 8 (Committee on Student Housing) p. 63 (Dean of Women and Dean of Men assisted with housing issues)
Brigham Young University annual catalogue, 1953: p. 13 (Student Housing, John F. Jones, director)
Brigham Young University annual catalogue, 1954: p. 15 (Student Housing; Fred Schwendiman, director) p. 78 (Office of Student Housing)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Housing Office records
Contains graphs, charts, construction plans and contracts, telegrams and correspondence with the National Housing Agency, Feberal Public Housing Authority, United Engineers, and O. J. Scherer Company concerning the use of former military buildings as Wymount Village student housing, 1946. 54 items.
Student housing pamphlets
Includes pamphlets issued to students about the housing policies and ediquette.
Student Personnel Services records
Contains correspondence with students and parents concerning problems, space availability, room assignments, roommate preferences, and financial requests. Also includes memoranda by the faculty committee on honor, and by University officials. Materials were produced by the directors of program for men's housing, including Kenner Kartchner and Blaine Parkinson, between 1956 and 1960.