Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company records
Scope and Contents
Contains business records of the Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company, including profit and loss statements as well as correspondence regarding trips in automobiles through Yellowstone. Materials date from between 1915 and 1916.
- Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Digital copy available online for public use. Transcription of originals also available for public use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company was founded in 1913 by F. J. Haynes. In 1916, the company became the first motorized bus fleet allowed in Yellowstone. At that time, it was co-owned by William Nichols and Shaw & Powell. Their fleet consisted of seven ten-passenger trucks with open bodies, five six-passenger Buicks, one Buick service car, and one GMC Truck. In 1917, the company lost its bid to YPTCo, and Haynes was forced to sell his shares in the company.
2 folders (0.11 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Materials arranged in chronological order.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Illustrates some of the logistics that went into creating Yellowstone National Park as it is today.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital copy available online. Transcriptions available in Folder 2.
Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011.
- Register of the Cody-Sylvan Pass Motor Company records
- Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John M. Murphy, curator
- 2011 July 27
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.