Brigham Young University historical files
Scope and Contents
Contains manuscripts, biographies, photographs, correspondence, building plans, articles, and filmstrips, all from many different persons and departments on campus.
- Brigham Young University (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brigham Young Academy was founded in 1875 with Karl G. Maeser as principal. The academy did not become a university until Benjamin Cluff Jr. changed it as his last act as principal in 1903.
18 boxes (9 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
The Register of BYU Historical Files is loosely organized into three alphabetical groupings. The first alphabetical grouping beings with “Academy Square” in Box 1 Folder 1a, and ends in “"Y" on the Mountain and Grand Stand,” Box 11:Folder 25. The next grouping begins in Box 11:Folder 26 and continues until Box 13:Folder 8. The third and final grouping begins in Box 13:Folder 9 and continues to the end of the collection.(Box 17:Folder 30) The documents are not arranged according to subject, or date submitted.
Other Finding Aids
A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/UA704.xml
University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010)
- Brigham Young Academy
- Brigham Young High School (Provo, Utah)
- Brigham Young University -- Administration
- Brigham Young University. Alumni Association
- Brigham Young University. Library
- Colleges and Universities
- Files (Records)
- Provo (Utah)
- Register of Brigham Young University historical files
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Box: 1 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 2 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 3 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 4 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 5 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 6 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 7 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 8 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 9 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 10 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 13 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 14 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 15 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 16 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 17 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: 18 (Mixed Materials)