Department of Music records on piano pedagogy, 1973-1996
Scope and Contents
Contains piano pedagogy notes and books, particularly under the instruction of Paul Pollei, under the Department of Music. Class papers and examples of handouts are included in this series. Among the materials are several teaching piano books and booklets. They are directed for many ages, but the majority focus on teaching methods for children. Papers written by students on teaching techniques and class finals are also included.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Music (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department of Music was established within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
Language of Materials