Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Department of Music

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1920-1998

Administrative History

Department of Music (1920-1998) was responsible for teaching a variety of courses in music.

The Department of Music was established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), and Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).

The department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean. The department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998).

The courses included basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition. Private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet. Beginning in 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum.

Citation

BYU Organization History, via WWW, accessed 2013 May 30 (responsible for teaching variety of courses in music including basic voice, choir, military band, piano, orchestra, band, solfeggio, and composition; private courses were available to students at an additional cost in violin, clarinet, and cornet; 1921 music theory courses were added to the curriculum; department was administered by a department chair, under the direction of a college dean; department was associated with various colleges, including the School of Arts and Sciences (1920-1921), the College of Arts and Sciences (1921-1925), the College of Fine Arts (1925-1964), and the College of Fine Arts and Communications (1964-1998); established and made a department within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920 when the Church Teachers College was split; transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964; renamed the School of Music in 1998; department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998)).

Found in 140 Collections and/or Records:

A. Harold Goodman correspondence, 1966-1967

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 16
Scope and Contents note A. Harold Goodman's correspondence.
Dates: Other: 1966-1967

A. Harold Goodman files, 1964-1968

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 19
Scope and Contents note A. Harold Goodman's files.
Dates: Other: 1964-1968

Biographical sketches of BYU Music Department faculty

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 305
Scope and Contents Contains brief biographical sketches of Gustav Buggert, Don L. Earl, George W. Fitzroy, Joseph Keeler, Lawrence Sardoni, John Wakefield, Franklin Madsen, and Gerrit de Jong.
Dates: Date not identified

Merrill Bradshaw papers

 Collection
Identifier: MSS 7486
Scope and Contents Collection includes (spans the dates 1952-1996) hand-written manuscripts created by Merrill Bradshaw, original scores and parts, published and bound scores such as “Title of Liberty” and “The Restoration”; papers centered around his teaching years such as grade transcripts and class rolls; audio/video recordings that include reel-to-reel tapes, cassette tapes, CDs, video cassettes, and LPs, and correspondence.
Dates: approximately 1952-1989

Brigham Young University Choruses, 1940-1970

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 22
Scope and Contents note Memos about BYU choirs.
Dates: Other: 1940-1970

Brigham Young University faculty music collection

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 133
Abstract Collection includes published and handwritten unpublished musical selections written and arranged by Brigham Young University faculty members.
Dates: 1899-1975

Brigham Young University meeting minutes, 1955-1967

 Series — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 522 Series 4
Scope and Contents Contains copies of meeting minutes, primarily of the Department of Music or the College of Fine Arts.
Dates: 1955-1967

Brigham Young University music faculty correspondence, 1955-1968

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 20
Scope and Contents note Correspondence from the Department of Music faculty.
Dates: Other: 1955-1968

Brigham Young University music faculty outgoing correspondence, 1968

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 17
Scope and Contents note Outgoing correspondence from the music department faculty.
Dates: Other: 1968

Brigham Young University printed concert and lyceum programs presented by Music Department, 1930-1964

 Series
Identifier: UA 522 Series 21
Scope and Contents note Programs printed about events sponsored by the Music Department.
Dates: Other: 1930-1964