Department of Music records on music pedagogy, 1973-1996
Scope and Contents
Contains music pedagogy materials related to instruction for students to improve their general music skills. Among the materials are several examples of teaching materials, such as handouts, teaching guides and articles from journals. Also included are several studies done by the department about common problems among students teaching music.
For the class materials for Music 280 and 380 there are syllabi, class schedules and outlines, assignment packets, both draft and final examples and copies of the class finals.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Music (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department of Music was established within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
Language of Materials