Department of Music records on Mormon music pedagogy, 1973-1996
Scope and Contents
Contains music pedagogy materials related to the music programs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It focuses particularly on the Primary and Nursery organizations and their use of music inside church activities. The materials include a wide range of subjects related to this subject, such as workshop materials, teaching manuals and the evaluation of these manuals and studies done by Music Department among Latter-day Saint congregations in surrounding cities.
From 1981-1989 Brigham Young University hosted a 'Church Music Workshop' in August where local chuch leaders could receive instruction on teaching Primary and Nursery classes music instructions. The material related to this workshops included schedules and lists of faculty involved, questionnaires filled out by participants related to their expectations and samples of the materials taught and distributed among participants.
In 1986-1987 Music Department personnel were involved in a number of studies done under the direction of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to evaluate the difficulties and situations with Primary and Nursery music activities among an organizational 'Stake' level. These materials include interviews with Stake presidencies and Primary leaders and by observation of Primary meetings in the Ogden, Utah area.
- Brigham Young University. Department of Music (creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Music records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
The Department of Music was established within the School of Arts and Sciences in 1920. It was transferred to the College of Arts and Sciences in 1921, then to the College of Fine Arts in 1925, before becoming part of the College of Arts and Communications in 1964. The department was renamed the School of Music in 1998. Department chairs included Florence Jepperson (1920-1946), Leroy F. Robertson (1946-1948), John R. Halliday (1948-1959), Crawford Gates (1960-1966), A. Harold Goodman (1966-1981), James A. Mason (1981-1983), K. Newell Dayley (1983- 1994), Clyn D. Barrus (1994-1998).
Language of Materials