P. J. Sanders and J. F. Curtis debate transcripts
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MSS 2018
The debates between Peter James Sanders of the Mormon Church and James Frank Curtis of the Reorganized Mormon Church were held 4-7 Aug. 1908 in the Murray Opera House in Murray, Utah. The collection includes transcripts of the debates and biographical information regarding Sanders and Curtis. The issues covered in the debates include the succession in the leadership of the Mormon Church following the death of Joseph Smith (1805-1844), the first president of the Mormon Church, and Mormon doctinal issues including: priesthood authority, polygamy, and the plurality of Gods.
- Sanders, P. J. (Peter James), 1871- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted. Photocopies for patron use.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Debate transcripts must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2018.xml
The transcription of the Peter James Sanders and James Frank Curtis debates was produced from stenographic notes taken by Willima M. Bay. The collection remained in the possession of the Sanders family until Clyde James Hayes, a grandson of Peter James Sanders, donated it to BYU Special Collections and Manuscripts on 4 Oct. 1996.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Clyde James Hayes; 1996.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Baptism for the dead
- Briggs, Jason W., 1821-
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Presidents
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Clergy--Appointment, call, and election
- Marks, William, 1792-1872
- Murray Opera House (Murray, Utah)
- Nauvoo Temple (Nauvoo, Ill. : 1841-1850)
- Pariarchs (Mormon theology)
- Presidents -- Succession
- Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
- Smith, Joseph F. (Joseph Fielding), 1838-1918
- Smith, Joseph, III, 1832-1914
- Smith, William, 1811-1893
- Wight, Lyman
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of P. J. Sanders and J. F. Curtis debate transcripts
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 May 2
- Description rules
- Language of description