David John diaries
Scope and Contents
- Majority of material found within 1856-1908
- John, David, 1833-1908 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
David John was born on January 29, 1833, in Puncheston, Wales, to parents Mary Williams and Daniel John. He was raised in a Baptist family and was studying for the ministry when he joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1847. His parents were adamantly opposed to his joining the Church, so following the advice of Orson Pratt (an Apostle in the Church) he stopped associating with the Church until 1856. In the June of 1856, he served a mission in Wales and became the president of the Flintshire Conference in December. From 1857 to 1858 he served as a counselor in the presidency of the Welsh Mission.
He married Mary Wride on February 8, 1860 in Cardiff, Wales, and they had nine children together. In 1861, John and his wife emigrated to Utah with their family and in 1862 John was called as a counselor in the Provo 3rd Ward. He served in this bishopric for fifteen years. From 1877 to 1901, John was a counselor in the Utah Stake, which covered all of Utah County at the time. In 1883, he became the presiding bishop of Utah Stake as well. John also served as the Utah Stake Sunday School Superintendent from 1865 to 1893. In addition to his work for the Church, John worked as a school teacher and trustee of the Provo district schools for fifteen years. He was also a partner of the lumber business Smoot and John. John also married Jane Cree in 1865 and in 1887 was imprisoned temporarily for his beliefs about and participation in polygamy. From 1901 to 1908 John served as the president of Utah Stake and he was also a member of the Brigham Young University Board of Trustees during that time.
John died on December 24, 1908, in Provo, Utah.
11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
3 microfilm reels (0.3 linear ft.)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Existence and Location of Copies
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Educators -- Utah -- Utah County -- History
- John, David, 1833-1908 -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- England -- Diaries
- Mormon missionaries -- Wales
- Mormons -- Utah -- Genealogy
- Mormons -- Utah -- Provo -- History
- Mormons -- Utah -- Utah County -- History
- Polygamy -- Utah -- Provo -- History
- Priesthood -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Stakes (Mormon Church) -- Utah -- Provo
- Utah -- Emigration and immigration
- Utah County (Utah) -- History
- Register of David John diaries
- Under Revision
- Garrett Schroath
- 2011 April 1
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.