Hancock County (Ill.) Circuit Court legal documents
Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 1443
Collection contains about 750 documents relating to some 250 actions arising in justice of the peace or circuit courts in Hancock County, Illinois. Also includes a letter from David Martin concerning part of the collection and indexes to court cases involving Joseph Smith Jr. and the autographs of those who martyred Smith.
- Illinois. Circuit Court (Hancock Co.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Legal documents must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
8 boxes (4 linear ft.)
Documents are arranged alphabetically either by plaintiff in a suit or by the petitioner in a single action.
Other Finding Aids
File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS1443.xml
Purchased from David Martin, Steven Barnett, and Peter Crawley, 1975.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Babbitt, Almon W. (Almon Whiting), 1813-1856
- Backenstos, Jacob B. (Jacob Benjamin), 1811-1857
- Davis, Amos, Jr., 1811-1877
- Foster, Robert D.
- Hancock County (Ill.) -- History
- Kimball, Hiram S., 1806-1863
- Law and Wilson
- Material Types
- Mormon Church -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Reyburn, T. (Thomas), 1819-1857
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844
- Smith, William, 1811-1893
- Wells, Daniel H. (Daniel Hanmer), 1814-1891
- Yates, Christopher E.
- Register of Hancock County (Ill.) Circuit Court legal documents
- Amy Perez
- 2011 March 9
- Description rules
- Language of description