Patience Loader Archer autobiography
File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS SC 3238
Photocopy of a microfilm copy of a handwritten autobiography. Patience tells about her early life in England and her conversion to the Mormon Church. She presents one of the best accounts from the Martin handcart company and goes into considerable detail on the ordeal. Patience tells about the rescue and the continuous efforts of the people in the ill-fated handcart company to survive. She also writes about her arrival in Salt Lake City, Utah, and about the efforts by Brigham Young, second president of the Mormon Church, to console the survivors. She also tells about her marriage to John Rozsa in 1858 and her life in Camp Floyd, Utah. Patience followed her husband when he went to Washington, DC, to participate in the Civil War. After the war, they moved to Fort Leavenworth and later to Fort Kearny. When she returned to Utah, her husband died on the way.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Patience Loader Archer autobiography must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
3 folders (267 p.)
Biographical / Historical
Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and a survivor of the Martin handcart company of 1856.
This item was phtocopied from the 920 microfilm collection, reel 17.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Archer, Patience Loader Rozsa, 1827-1921
- Army spouses -- Biography
- Edward Martin Emigrating Company -- History
- Fort Crittenden (Utah) -- History
- Fort Kearny (Neb.) -- History
- Fort Leavenworth (Kan.) -- History
- Immigration and American Expansion
- Mormon women -- Biography
- Mormons -- England -- History
- Salt Lake City (Utah) -- History
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Sources
- Utah -- Emigration and immigration
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Register of Patience Loader Archer autobiography
- Rose Frank
- 25 February 2011
- Description rules
- Language of description