Arza E. Hinckley diary
File — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS SC 783
Scope and Contents
Photocopy of typescript. Covers the first year of Hinckley's mission to the Arizona Indians. Includes account of the author receiving his assignment from Lorenzo Snow (1814-1901), one of the Twelve Apostles of the Mormon Church; the trip to Arizona; and descriptions of Hinckley's work among the Indians. Diary entries are lengthy and very detailed.
- Hinckley, Arza E. (Arza Erastus), 1827-1901 (Creator, Person)
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Arza E. Hinckley diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
Biographical / Historical
Early convert to the Mormon Church, member of the Mormon Battalion (1846-1847), and missionary for the Mormon Church to the Indians in Arizona (1882-1884).
1 item (30 leaves)
Collection maintained in original order.
19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Apache Indians -- Missions
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- Arizona -- History
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Arizona
- Hinckley, Arza E. (Arza Erastus), 1827-1901 -- Diaries
- Indians of North America -- Arizona -- Religion
- Indians of North America -- Missions -- Arizona
- Maricopa Indians -- Missions
- Material Types
- Mohave Indians -- Missions
- Mormon Church -- Arizona -- History
- Mormon missionaries -- Arizona
- Navajo Indians -- Missions -- History
- Pima Indians -- Missions
- Register of Arza E. Hinckley diary
- Morgan Crockett
- 2010 July 19
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.