Wasatch Elementary School records
Scope and Contents
Contains materials recording the history of Wasatch Elementary School, located in Provo, Utah. School histories, compiled by Wasatch Elementary School and the Provo City School District, are amalgamated by school year. Records contain faculty information, attendance numbers, faculty meeting agendas, financial records, PTA and school newsletters, newspaper clippings, and student lists, often bound in volumes or housed in binders. The collection also contains photographs and negatives of teachers, students, classes, and school events. Materials generated as records of school administration and as documentary forms recording the history of the school. Dated approximately 1948 to 2012.
- approximately 1948-2012
- Wasatch Elementary School (Provo, Utah) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wasatch Elementary School was built in 1948. Wasatch is an Indian name meaning "mountain path." On September 12, 1949, students began attending the new school. The school mascot is "Satch," a German shepherd that was adopted after a former teacher brought home a trinket from a trip to Germany.
The school prides itself on its academic excellence and its many teachers have worked hard to create traditions to enhance the learning that takes place at Wasatch Elementary School. Some of these traditions include: lessons in the industrial shop classroom, music programs, formal flag ceremonies, braiding the May pole, folk dance performances, and track and field day. The school also has a Chinese immersion program which began in 2009.
The Provo City School District was created in Provo, Utah, in 1890, through the merger of the five different school districts that were established between 1860-1861. It originally consisted of five schools: Central (Parker) School, East (Webster) School, West (Franklin) School, North (Page) School, and Far North (Mountain) School. Two years later, the first version of Timpanogos Elementary School was built and six years after Webster School was replaced by Maeser School- named after Brigham Young Academy Dean Karl G. Maeser. In the 1930s, the district added a vocational school, Dixon High, and Farrer Junior High, while replacing the campuses of Timpanogos and Parker (which was soon renamed Joaquin). Soon, Grandview Elementary was built in the 1960s and the vocational school became the present-day campus of Utah Valley University.
13 cartons (13 linear ft.)
4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
1 oversize folder (0.2 linear ft.)
1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
Donated by Wasatch Elementary School and Provo School District in 2015.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Wasatch Elementary School and Provo School District; April 2015.
Utah and the American West and LDS culture, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy II.B.5.VI, April 2015).
Processed; Lettie Burton, 2015.
- Register of Wasatch Elementary School records
- Lettie Burton
- 2019 May 7
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Carton: 1 (Text)
- Carton: 2 (Text)
- Carton: 3 (Text)
- Carton: 4 (Text)
- Carton: 5 (Text)
- Carton: 6 (Text)
- Carton: 7 (Text)
- Carton: 8 (Text)
- Carton: 9 (Text)
- Carton: 10 (Text)
- Carton: 11 (Text)
- Carton: 12 (Text)
- Carton: 13 (Text)
- Box: 14 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 15 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 16 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 17 (Graphic Materials)
- oversize-folder: 18 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 19 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: 20 (Graphic Materials)
- Folder: 21 (Graphic Materials)