Translation Sciences Institute
- Existence: 1976 - 1980
The Translation Sciences Institute (1976-1980) at Brigham Young University functioned to provide machine translation of texts with a minimum of human assistance.
In 1974 then-President of Brigham Young University, Dallin H. Oaks, and Dr. Eldon Lytle presented the idea of a Translation Sciences Institute to the Board of Trustees in an effort to gain funding. The Translation Department of the Church agreed to provide forty percent of the funding, and the project began in 1976. In 1977, President Wilkinson donated the money for a computer dedicated to computer translation work. Originally, the computer was designed to translate accurately and efficiently between English and five other languages: Spanish, French, German, Portugese, and Chinese. The purposes were largely extended to translations of scriptural materials and other church-related texts. Dr. Lytle (1976-1979) and Dr. Gary Carlson (1980) served as directors of the project until funding was withdrawn in 1980.
Citation:Department of Linguistics and English Language records, 1957-2004 (Translation Sciences Institute)
Brigham Young University, L. Tom Perry Special Collections worksheet, Apr. 21, 2009 (Translation Sciences Institute; est. 1970 at Brigham Young University; developed Interactive Translation System software; closed in 1979)
Machine translation, 1986: p. 17.10 (Translation Sciences Institute; members of institute founded Automated Language Processing System (ALPS) in 1980)
BYU organization history website, via WWW, Nov. 2, 2011 (researched computer-assisted language translation; reported to Dept. of Linguistics)
Translation Sciences Institute records, 1973-1992 (existed 1976-1980; machine translation; human assistance minimum; Oaks and Lytle presented idea to Board of Trustees; Translation Dept. 40 percent funding; 1976 began; Wilkinson donated money for computer; English and five languages: French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Chinese; scriptural materials; directors Lytle 1976-1979 and Carlson 1980; funding withdrawn 1980)
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Department of Linguistics and English Language administrative and academic records, 1983-2008
Contains syllabi, department meeting minutes, graduate catalogue, accreditation reports, and records concerning department awards banquets, retreats, visiting scholars, academic reviews, class changes with the English/Linguistics merger, and department self-studies. Dates range from 1983 to 2008.
Department of Linguistics and English Language correspondence, 1974-1999
Contains department correspondence, 1974-1999.
Department of Linguistics and English Language history records, 1957-2002
Contains correspondence, notes, articles, and newspaper clippings pertaining to the history of the department, 1957-2002.
Department of Linguistics and English Language records
Contains correspondence, notes, reports, meeting minutes, clippings, syllabi, and articles from the Department of Linguistics and English Language from 1957 to 2008. The materials pertain to the history of the department, concordance of Mormon scriptures, department retreats, awards banquets, visiting scholars, and students.
Department of Linguistics and English Language records on the Translation Sciences Institute, 1970-1980
Contains manuals, correspondence, minutes, and reports from the Translation Sciences Institute, 1970-1980.
Chris DeSantis collection on the Translation Sciences Institute
Contains bound manuals, articles, and related materials produced by the Translation Sciences Institute. Includes information on Junction Grammar and automation of language translation. Materials date from between 1975 and 1979.
Office of the President general files, 1980-1984
Contains general files including materials on the Translation Sciences Institution and computer translation, a conference on Christians and Jews, and the University Presidency. Materials date from 1980 to 1984.
Translation Sciences Institute annual reports and committee records, 1975-1992
Contains general records of the Translation Sciences Institute, including annual reports and policies from the Humanities Research Center, database distribution records, building records, and general files. Also included are two plaques in an oversize folder from the institute honoring Ernest L. Wilkinson and his contributions, 1975-1992.
Translation Sciences Institute general records, 1973-1992
Contains the general records of the Translation Sciences Institute, including annual reports and committee records, information from the scriptural database run by the institution, and papers related to the Translation Sciences Institute and its functions, 1973-1992.
Translation Sciences Institute microfiche, 1974-1982
Contains microfiche from the Translation Sciences Institute covering four broad areas: analysis lexicons, scripture comparisons of the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants, English lexicon and word order, and complete concordance of the four standard works, 1974-1982.