Brigham Young University. College of Fine Arts
- Existence: 1925 - 1963
The College of Fine Arts (1925-1963) was an academic administrative unit at Brigham Young University.
The College of Fine Arts was established in 1925 when the College of Arts and Sciences transferred over some of its departments to create a separate college. It continued in operation under its name until it was established as the College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1963. College deans included Gerrit de Jong, Jr. (1925-1959), John R. Halliday (acting dean, 1947), and Conan E. Mathews (1959-1963).
Citation:BYU Organizational History Project website, via WWW, Dec. 16, 2013 (College of Fine Arts; est. 1925 in split of College of Arts and Sciences; renamed College of Fine Arts and Communications in 1963; deans included Gerrit de Jong, Jr. (1925-1959), John R. Halliday (acting dean, 1947), and Conan E. Mathews (1959-1963))
Found in 28 Collections and/or Records:
Contains building records including annual catalogues, recital records and recital programs, blueprints and diagrams, correspondence, furnishing and equipment records, theatre and stages records, and photographs. Also included is information regarding the Harris Fine Arts Center (HFAC), namely its dedications and description, names, blueprints, correspondence, furnishing, telephones, radio, and television. Materials date from between 1938 and 1965.
Contains correspondence from both the Dean's Office and the department as a whole, including correspondence from the various departments within the college and between the dean and faculty or community members. Materials date from between 1959 and 1993.
Contains correspondence received by the Dean's Office between 1982 and 1993 and includes the correspondence of Clawson Cannon, Lorin Wheelwright, memos to faculty, correspondence regarding the physical plant, and general correspondence. Materials date from between 1963 and 1993.
Contains correspondence between the departments of the college including the departments of Art, Music, and Speech and Dramatic Arts. The correspondence is on the subject of day-to-day affairs of each department and their interactions with each other and the community. Materials date from between 1959 and 1970.
Contains faculty records from the College of Fine Arts and Communications, including the Helaman Halls dedicatory program, self-evaluations and evaluation reports, faculty load reports, the University Handbook, undergraduate scholarship and awards brochures, the records of Harvey Taylor and Joseph T. Bentley, information about the college, alumni information, and department chair meetings. Materials date from between 1956 and 1966.
Contains photographs of dance classes, people looking through a telescope, and James Stewart's visit to BYU. Also contains a short video on DVD of people looking through the telescope and a compact disc with photographs of BYU broadcasting.
Contains correspondence from the deans' office, Administrative Advisory Council information, building records (including blueprints and plans for the Harris Fine Arts Center), faculty files, and other general files related to the functioning of the College of Fine Arts and Communications, dating from between 1938 and 1994.
Contains lantern slides and 35 mm slides produced by the College of Fine Arts and the College of Fine Arts and Communications. Includes images from an Independence Day celebration at the university stadium, as well as slides from a Thanksgiving Day assembly about the Vietnam War. Materials date from between approximately 1953 and 1973.
Includes a report describing the curriculum, achievements, and faculty of the College of Fine Arts. A bulletin of the College is also included.
Includes professional correspondence, publications, teaching materials, speeches, and musical drafts and publications.