Brigham Young University. Speech Clinic
- Existence: 1936 - 1966
The Speech Clinic (1936-1966) was a treatment and training facility at Brigham Young University. The clinic provided treatment for children and adults, and provided clinical training opportunities for students.
The Speech Clinic was created for the summer session in 1936, and established as a permanent clinic and laboratory for the fall semester. The clinic was administered by the Speech Department from 1936 to 1957, the Speech and Dramatic Arts Department from 1957 to 1961, and by the Department of Speech from 1961 to 1966. In 1966, the clinic was renamed the Communicative Disorders Clinic.
The clinic director was Alonzo J. Morley.
Citation:Y news, June 5, 1936: p. 2 (Speech Clinic; established by Alonzo J. Morley; offered as part of summer session; provided corrective treatment for children and adults with speech defects)
Y news, Sept. 11, 1936 (Speech Clinic; clinic and laboratory established; supervised by Alonzo J. Morley; provided direct treatment, as well as training for students in clinical methods)
Brigham Young University catalog of courses, 1960: p. 74 (Speech Clinic)
Brigham Young University catalog of courses, 1964: p. 363 (Speech Clinic; part of Department of Speech)
Daily universe, Nov. 13, 1972: p. 2 (Communicative Habilitation Center; previously known as Speech Clinic; established in 1930s, changed its emphasis in 1966 to emphasize broader problems in communication)
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Contains audiology case information from the Communicative Disorders Clinic. Materials date from between 1958 and 1972.
Contains patient case files from the Communicative Disorders Clinic. Materials date from between 1934 and 1974.
Contains patient case histories and audiology cases from the years 1934 to 1974.
Contains accreditation/reaccreditation reports, research tests and results, communicative disorder articles, and department correspondence. Materials date from between 1968 and 1991.