Brigham Young University. Student Program Bureau
- Existence: 1941 - 1958
The Student Program Bureau (1941-1958) was a student-managed administrative unit for student performing groups at Brigham Young University.
The Student Program Bureau was established in 1941 by the Associated Students of Brigham Young University (ASBYU). The group organized tours of student performing groups in the West, and was directed by the ASBYU president. In 1952 the university administration placed the bureau under a faculty chair.
Faculty chairs included Jane Thompson (1952-1956), Sylvia Tyler (1956-1957), and Fontell C. Messervy (1957-1958).
Citation:Brigham Young University organizational history, via WWW, May 21, 2020 (Student Program Bureau; est. 1941 by Associated Students of Brigham Young University (ASBYU); organized performances from performing groups on campus, it was headed by the student body president; faculty advisors appointed, 1952; renamed as Program Bureau, 1958; Janie Thompson, faculty chair, 1952-1958))
Banyan, 1957: p. 142 (Student Program Bureau; provided performing groups, as well as a speakers bureau; Janie Thompson on leave, 1957 chair was Sylvia Tyler; student chair, Winston Christensen)
Banyan, 1958: p. 97 (Student Program Bureau; Fontell Messervy, production director)
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Program Bureau correspondence, 1954-1966
Contains Program Bureau correspondence with information on tours, performing groups, and programs. Materials date from between 1954 and 1966.
Program Bureau records
Includes correspondence, minutes, scripts, lists, newsclippings, and photographs concerning tours and shows.
Program Bureau scrapbooks, 1927-1969
Scrapbooks produced by the Program Bureau with information on student performing groups. Materials date from between 1927 and 1969.