Skip to main content

Brigham Young University. Department of Geology and Geological Engineering Science

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1957-1968

Administrative History

The Department of Geology and Geological Engineering Science (1957-1968) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University. The department provided courses in geology and paleontology.

The department was established in 1957 in a renaming of the earlier Department of Geology. Administered by the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences, the unit provided instruction leading to bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees in geology and paleontology. In 1968 the department was reorganized as the Department of Geology.

Department chairs included Kenneth C. Bullock (1957-1962) and Lehi Hintze (1962-1968).

Citation

BYU Organization History Project, via WWW, May 7, 2020: Department of Geology (1955-1957) (department in the College of Physical and Engineering Sciences; renamed as Department of Geology and Geological Sciences in 1957) Department of Geology and Geological Sciences (chairs: Kenneth C. Bullock (1957-1962) and Lehi Hintze (1962-1968); offered BS, MS, and PhD degrees in geology and related specializations; instruction focused on geology and mineralogy, sedimentation and paleontology, and field and dynamic geology; name changed to Department of Geology in 1968)

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

History of the Department of Geology

 Collection — Folder: 1
Identifier: UA 306