Brigham Young University. Physical Plant Department
- Existence: 1954-
The Physical Plant Department (1954- ) functions to coordinate the building and grounds maintenance of Brigham Young University. The Physical Plant Department, previously the Department of Buildings and Grounds, was established in 1954. The Physical Plant functions under the Physical Facilities Division and is responsible for maintaining university utilities, overseeing engineering and construction, maintaining the grounds, maintaining the buildings (including custodial services), overseeing transportation services, and administering to campus projects. Directors of the department have included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- ).
Citation:Brigham Young University, Dept. of Physical Plant, photo album, ca. 1962-1967: p. 11 of dedicatory program, 1962, at beginning of album (Physical Plant Department at B.Y.U.)
Brigham Young University organizational history, via WWW, Jan. 24, 2012 (Physical Plant Dept.; est. 1954; previously known as the Department of Buildings and Grounds; responsible for maintaining university utilities, engineering, grounds keeping, construction, maintenance, custodial, transportation; directors included Leland M. Perry (1954-1957), Sam F. Brewster (1957-1974), Fred A. Schwendiman (1974), Harold J. Anderson (1979-1986), Douglas Christensen (1986-1990), and Scott Briggs (1990- ))
Found in 111 Collections and/or Records:
Volume shows staff of the Physical Plant Department, specifically in the following areas: accounting office, air conditioining, custodial, civil engineering, construction, carpenter shop, electrical shop, grounds, heating plant, mechanical shop, motor pool, planning, paint shop, security, stock room, service station, and type shop.
Contains copies of the landscape architecture plans for the President's Home from the early 1930s and the 1960s as well as copies of the "as-built drawings" for the Visitor's Center-the President's Home became the Visitor's Center in the 1990s.
Contains program requirements, reports, blueprints, budget estimates, minutes, photographs, correspondence, and aperture cards regarding the construction and layout of several campus buildings. This collection also includes biographical sketches of men after whom Helaman Halls were named, and statements concerning increasing enrollment at Brigham Young University. Dated 1947-1979.
Contains records from the Physical Plant Department including correspondence, memos, blueprints, contracts, photographs, audio cassettes and program requirements. Materials date from 1946 to 1980.
Material related to the Physical Plant Department during the early years of the Ernest L. Wilkinson administration. They contain information on the planning for and naming of buildings as well as information on a community planning service.
Contains correspondence and memorandums regarding maintenance and upkeep of Allen Hall. Also includes cost estimates and a service contract, 1952-1972.
Contains correspondence and memorandums regarding the maintenance of and upkeep of Amanda Knight Hall, including requests for parking, requests for fluorescent lighting, power installations, and safety. Also contains floor plans and a contract certificate, 1947-1970.
Records cover topics including inspections, inventory, contracting records, payment, line waivers, equipment, open houses, heating systems, modifications, remodeling, bidding, masonry, steam generators, and additions for several buildings at Brigham Young University. Also contains blueprints of the industrial education building in an oversize folder, 1946-1979.
Contains records for an arts building, education building, inspection results, college hall, lighting fixtures, and inventory, 1947-1973.
Contains the property commission agreement between Brigham Young University and Provo City for the widening of Phillips Lane, 1430 North, from 500 East to 900 East, 1967.
- Archival Object 94
- Collection 16
- Digital Record 1
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo 62
- Facility management -- Utah -- Provo 62
- Specifications 44
- Letters 36
- Memorandums 33
- Colleges and Universities 24
- Education 24
- Photographs 23
- Contracts 20
- College campuses -- Utah -- Provo 18
- Reports 15
- Campus planning -- Utah -- Provo 13
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 11
- Awards 9
- Plaques, plaquettes 9
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American 9
- Universities and colleges -- Security measures -- Utah -- Provo 9
- Blueprints 8
- Provo (Utah) 8
- Budgets 7
- Maps 7
- Financial records 5
- Minutes (Records) 5
- Negatives 5
- Photograph albums 5
- Slides (Photography) 5
- Mormon temples 4
- Proposals 4
- Schedules (Time plans) 4
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Safety measures 4
- Architectural drawings 3
- Annual reports 2
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo -- Design and construction 2
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs 2
- Dormitories -- Utah -- Provo 2
- Drawings 2
- Files (Records) 2
- Heating -- Utah -- Provo 2
- Scrapbooks 2
- Aerial photographs 1
- Agreements 1
- Architecture 1
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences 1
- Audiocassettes 1
- Autobiographies 1
- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Provo (Utah) 1
- Business records 1
- Carillons -- Utah -- Provo 1
- Checks 1
- City planning -- Utah -- Provo 1
- College buildings -- Utah -- Provo -- Design and construction -- Photographs 1
- College campuses -- Utah -- Provo -- Photographs 1
- Dedication services -- Utah -- Provo 1
- Facility management 1
- Inventories 1
- Landscape architecture 1
- Latter Day Saint men -- Biography 1
- Latter Day Saint temples 1
- Legal instruments 1
- Lists 1
- Maintenance 1
- Phillips Lane (Provo, Utah) 1
- Photocopies 1
- Publications 1
- Relief models 1
- Stadiums -- Utah -- Provo 1
- Student housing -- Utah -- Provo 1
- Tunnels -- Design and construction 1
- Universities and colleges -- Security measures 1
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Administration 1
- Universities and colleges -- Utah -- Provo -- Faculty 1
- Wrecking -- Utah -- Provo 1 + ∧ less