Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Notes, typescripts, photocopied sources, and miscellaneous items relating to the biography of Milo Andrus (1814-1893). Milo was a Mormon pioneer, missionary, and colonizer who eventually settled in St. George, Utah.
Two typewritten manuscripts of the story "Cedar Breaks." Each of the versions contains the fictional story of a Mormon family in Cedar City, Utah practicing polygamy. The story was published in 1976 under the title, "Zion Town."
Typewritten manuscript of a history of Manti, Utah. The item covers the years from 1849 to 1897. It includes contributions from a number of authors who describe their experiences. A number of accounts of Indian troubles are presented as well as descriptions of how the town and its fort were constructed. The manuscript was apparently never published.
Two typewritten photocopies of an address for the General Conference of the Mormon Church in April 1932, newspaper clippings, and one photocopy of pages 66 and 67 of a General Conference report booklet. Richards attacks dogmatism, intolerance, and bigotry as highly destructive and as enemies of the Mormon faith. The General Conference booklet does not include any kind of information concerning Richards' controversial address.
Carbon copy of typed book draft. Taylor writes the history of Pond Town, later Salem, Utah, from its settlement in 1851. She tells about the various families in the community and about how Salem relates to other areas of Utah County, Utah.
Collection contains handwritten manuscripts describing the proposal to build a theater in Spanish Fork, Utah, including a call for subscriptions; a list of the subscribers and amounts pledged; a description of the lot acquired; and that this "memento" and a copy of a Tullidge's Magazine article of Spanish Fork were going to be placed in the cornerstone of the building, dated July 19, 1884. Also includes typed transcript of manuscript.
Typewritten copy of a fictionalized story based on the courtship of Isaac E. Black and a carbon copy and photocopy of a typewritten story of Isaac's out-of-body experience.
Typewritten manuscript with corrections. Sonne portrays Richard Ballantyne as a modest and taciturn Scotsman who converted to the Mormon religion and migrated to the United States. He distinguished himself as a Mormon pioneer, settler, and missionary. Richard met Joseph Smith (1805-1844), the Mormon prophet, in Nauvoo, Illinois and later moved to Utah. He also served a mission for the Mormon Church in India. The manuscript was later published under the title: "Knight of the Kingdom."
Photocopies of research notes and drafts of chapters of the book "Isn't One Wife Enough?" The originals are housed in the Garett Theological Seminary Library. This work is considered to be the first serious study of Mormon polygamy done by a trained sociologist. In the published version of the book, Young changed the names of the characters he wrote about. But in his notes the correct names are available.
- Manuscripts 9
- Social Life and Customs 5
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 3
- City and Town Life 3
- Mormons -- Utah -- History 3
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences 2
- Home and Family 2
- Literature 2
- Pioneers 2
- Black Hawk War (Utah), 1865-1872 1
- Church Government 1
- Clubs and Societies 1
- Future life -- Case studies 1
- Immigration and American Expansion 1
- Indians of North America -- Utah -- History 1
- Letters 1
- Manti (Utah) -- History 1
- Manuscripts (for publication) 1
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- India 1
- Mormon missionaries -- India 1
- Mormon pioneers -- Utah -- Biography 1
- Mormons -- Illinois -- Nauvoo -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Biography 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Fiction 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Manti -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Orderville -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Saint George 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Salem -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Spanish Fork -- History 1
- Notes 1
- Orderville (Utah) -- History 1
- Photocopies 1
- Photographs 1
- Polygamy -- Idaho -- Fiction 1
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 1
- Polygamy -- Utah -- Fiction 1
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History 1
- Publications 1
- Religion 1
- Salem (Utah) -- History 1
- Spanish Fork (Utah) 1
- Spanish Fork (Utah) -- History 1
- Transcripts 1
- Typescripts 1
- United orders (Mormon Church) -- Utah -- Orderville 1
- Ute Indians -- Utah -- History 1 ∧ less
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2
- Andrus, Hyrum L. (Hyrum Leslie), 1924-2015 1
- Andrus, Milo, 1814-1893 1
- Ballantyne, Richard, 1817-1898 1
- Black, Isaac E. 1
- Farnsworth, Moses Franklin, 1834- 1
- Hopkins, Venice 1
- Randall, May B. 1
- Richards, Stephen L 1
- Smith, Joseph, Jr., 1805-1844 1
- Sonne, Conway B. (Conway Ballantyne), 1917 1
- Spanish Fork Theatrical and Building Association 1
- Tanner family 1
- Tanner, Annie Atkin, 1891-1972 1
- Thurber, Phebe 1
- Young, Kimball, 1893-1972 1 ∧ less