Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Consists of three separate manuscripts: "Religious Experiences of Thomas Walter Brookbank," "Travels and Threads of Experience," and "A Soldier's Recollections." These autobiographies recount the author's early life and conversion to Mormonism, his experiences in the Civil War (1861-1865), life in Utah and the Mormon settlements in eastern Arizona, and missionary activities in New Mexico, Texas, Mexico, and Great Britain.
Photocopy of typescript. Author recounts his call to serve as a missionary among the Navajo Indians by Mormon church president Brigham Young (1801-1877); the trip to Arizona; his activities among the Indians; and his return to Utah a year later.
Typescript. Includes short autobiographical sketch of author's life from his birth to his mission call to Arizona in 1876. Rest of the text is a daily journal covering the trip from Salt Lake City to Arizona, daily life in the Mormon settlements, and a trip back to Utah in 1877. Almost all of McAllister's journal entries are one line in length.
Photocopy of typescript. Short report to Brigham Young (1801-1877) on the efforts to organize the missionaries called to settle along the Little Colorado River. Includes list of prospective missionaries that Stewart recommended calling and a list of some who had agreed to go, but had not yet arrived in Kanab. The writer also requests counsel from Young on various matters pertaining to the mission.
- Arizona -- History -- To 1912 2
- Mormon Church -- Arizona -- History 2
- Mormon missionaries 2
- Mormon missionaries -- Arizona 2
- Mormons -- Arizona -- History 2
- United orders (Mormon Church) -- Arizona -- History 2
- Correspondence 1
- Diaries 1
- Frontier and pioneer life -- Arizona -- Sources 1
- Letters 1
- Material Types 1
- Mormon Church -- Missions -- Arizona -- History 1
- Navajo Indians -- Missions -- Arizona -- History -- Sources 1
- Reminiscences 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- Utah -- History -- 19th century 1 ∧ less
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 3
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877 2
- Brookbank, Thomas W. 1
- Brown, James S. (James Stephens), 1828-1902 1
- Cannon, Abraham H. (Abraham Hoagland), 1859-1896 1