Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Handwritten letters written from Chicago, Illinois and addressed to "Brother and Sister" Samuel and Eunice Moore, Mormons living in Utah. Bliss writes about family matters, the weather, the state and national economies, slavery, and Mormon polygamy. Bliss states that the Mormons should not practice slavery and that polygamy will not work.
Collection includes three handwritten diaries dated 1885 to 1886 two letters from 1891. In his diaries, Cannon writes about his imprisonment at the Utah State Penitentiary for polygamy and his subseqent experiences as a stake president for the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City, Utah. His letters are addressed to his sons George and John, and to Levi Colvin of Payson, Utah. Photocopies and typescripts of the diaries are also included.
Correspondence, record books, pension petitions, certificates, pamphlets, articles of incorporation, poems, blessings, poems, and miscellaneous items. The materials relate to Farnsworth's activities particulary in the Mormon Church. Included in the collection are letters from the fourth president of the Mormon Church, Willford Woodruff, patriarchal blessings, letters relating to Mormon polygamy, and a book recording the work done in the Manti Temple of the Mormon Church.
Handwritten and signed letter addressed to Mrs. Louisa W. Holmes, Hyde's aunt in Fulton, Illinois. The item was written in Kaysville, Utah, on 26 Nov. 1885. Hyde defends the beliefs of the Mormon Church particularly the practice of polygamy.
Handwritten letter dated 5 Nov. 1869 and addressed to "Miss Alvira Coolidge" of Manit, Utah. Pace writes from Provo, Utah saying that as an "old man" he had been "smitten" by her. He states that he has an interest in her friendship.
The collection contains correspondence, missionary journals, writings, discourses, sermons, mission records, genealogy records, legislative service records, and miscellaneous biographical materials covering 1837-1967.
Handwritten and signed letters to his wife, Amelia. Twenty-eight itmes were written from 1879-1881 in the Utah Peniteniary while Reynolds was serving a two-year sentence for polygamy. Reynolds tells about prison life, reaffirms his dedication to the Mormon faith, and discusses family matters.
Handwritten and typewritten correspondence and legal papers. The materials relate to Richards' law career in Utah. Some of the materials relate to the Edmunds-Tucker Act of 1887 which sought to make the prosecution of the practice of polygamy enforceable and to Mormon polygamy in general.
Photocopy of a handwritten and signed letter, dated 1 March 1886, and addressed to Franklin S. Richards, a lawyer in Salt Lake City, Utah. Snow thanks Richards for "securing appeal in my three cases to the U. S. Supreme Court and promise of bail." The issue involved was probably a charge of polygamy made against Snow.
Photocopies of typed copies of letters sent by John Taylor to his wives and to such LDS Church leaders as Brigham Young and Wilford Woodruff. The materials deal largely with family and Church matters. Also included are photocopies of handwritten notes on Taylor's various wives.
- Letters 8
- Polygamy -- Utah -- History 4
- Mormons -- Correspondence 3
- Mormon Church -- Presidents 2
- Prisons -- Utah -- History 2
- American poetry -- 19th century 1
- Articles of incorporation 1
- Businessmen -- Illinois -- Chicago -- Correspondence 1
- Certificates 1
- Chicago (Ill.) -- History -- Sources 1
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 1
- Diaries 1
- Edmunds-Tucker Act 1887 -- History -- Sources 1
- Kaysville (Utah) -- History 1
- Lawyers -- Utah -- Correspondence 1
- Manti (Utah) -- History 1
- Mormon Church -- Utah -- Salt Lake City -- History 1
- Mormons -- Genealogy 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Kaysville -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Manti -- History 1
- Mormons -- Utah -- Provo -- Correspondence 1
- Pamphlets 1
- Parowan (Utah) -- History 1
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church) -- History 1
- Petitions 1
- Photocopies 1
- Prisoners -- Utah -- Biography -- Sources 1
- Religion 1
- Salt Lake daily tribune -- History -- Sources 1
- Utah -- History 1 ∧ less
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 2
- Richards, Franklin S. 2
- Woodruff, Wilford, 1807-1898 2
- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877 2
- Bliss family 1
- Bliss, Perrin 1
- Cannon, Angus M. (Angus Munn) 1
- Cannon, John M. (John Mousley), 1865-1917 1
- Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonites) 1
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. First Council of the Seventy 1
- Church of Zion 1
- Cox, Alvira, 1848-1913 1
- Farnsworth, Moses Franklin, 1834- 1
- Hyde, William Alonzo 1
- Manti Temple (Manti, Utah) 1
- Moore, Samuel, active 1845 1
- Pace, William B., 1832-1907 1
- Pratt, Parley P. (Parley Parker), 1807-1857 1
- Reynolds family 1
- Reynolds, George, 1842-1909 1
- Snow, Lorenzo, 1814-1901 1
- Taylor, John, 1808-1887 1
- Utah. Militia 1
- Watt, G. D. (George Darling), 1812-1881 1
- Watt, Martha D. 1 ∧ less