Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 16
Typewritten letter signed by De la Mare and addressed to "Mr. Kowan" thanking him for his letter. Kowan apparently wanted encouragement from De la Mare on an unnamed project. De la Mare said there was already much done on the topic.
Handwritten letter dated 8 Sept. 1941 and addressed to Norah Hoult (1901-1984), an Irish writer. Hartley had written a review of a novel "Smilin' on the Vine" by Hoult in which he was somewhat critical of the work. Hartley responds to a letter from Hoult and essentially concedes that some of his criticisms were overstated.
Eight letters containing information concerning Hartley's religious novel "My Fellow-Devils". All of the letters were addressed to David Horner.
Handwritten and signed letters addressed to Reginal Littleboy from 1921 through 1969. Littleboy was a life-long friend who lived in Sussex, England. The letters relate many of Hartley's life experiences, reflections on associate authors, and also comment on writing.
Handwritten and signed letters. Most of these letters were to friends and other English writers including Alice Acland, Elizabeth Bowen, and Lord David Cecil. Hartley discusses various aspects of literature, discusses many of his works, and asks about how they may be improved.
Handwritten, typewritten, and signed correspondence between Hewlett and C. F. Cazenove of the Literary Agency of London. Two of the items from Hewlett are addressed to "My Dear." Also included is a handwritten and signed poem by Hewlett titled, "The Wren."
Handwritten and signed letter dated 14 May 1910. Addressed to Curtis Brown, the document details Hewlett's inability to have a novel ready for Collins by 1 January.
Handwritten essay dealing with the Dublin Strike of 1913, and the unhappy part Mrs. Montefiore played in it. He also comments on the condition of Catholics in Great Britain.
Handwritten and signed letter. The item was written at "14 Barton Street, S.W.I.," on April 19, 1922. Lawrence declines an invitation to speak on Eastern politics.
- Subject: Authors, English -- Correspondence X
- Letters 15
- Material Types 10
- Correspondence 9
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences 5
- Literature 5
- Authors, English -- Biography 2
- Critics -- Great Britain -- Biography -- Sources 2
- Authors and publishers 1
- Authors, Irish -- Correspondence 1
- Catholics -- Great Britain -- History 1
- City and Town Life 1
- Dublin (Ireland) -- History -- Sources 1
- English literature -- History and criticism 1
- English poetry -- 20th century 1
- Essays 1
- Ireland -- History -- 1910-1921 1
- Novelists, English -- Correspondence 1
- Social Life and Customs 1
- Soldiers -- Great Britain -- Correspondence 1 ∧ less
- Hartley, L. P. (Leslie Poles), 1895-1972 4
- Mottram, R. H. (Ralph Hale), 1883-1971 3
- Hewlett, Maurice, 1861-1923 2
- Lane, Hugh Percy, Sir, 1875-1915 2
- Acland, Alice, 1912- 1
- Bowen, Elizabeth, 1899-1973 1
- Buxton, Thomas Fowell, Sir, 1786-1845 1
- Cazenove, C. F. 1
- Cecil, David, 1902-1986 1
- Chesterton, G. K. (Gilbert Keith), 1874-1936 1
- De la Mare, Walter, 1873-1956 1
- Hoult, Norah, 1898-1984 1
- Lawrence, T. E. (Thomas Edward), 1888-1935 1
- Literary Agency of London 1
- Littleboy, Reginal 1
- Lytton, Edward Bulwer Lytton, 1803-1873 1
- Mansfield, Katherine 1
- Maugham, W. Somerset (William Somerset) 1
- Noel-Buxton, Noel Noel-Buxton, Baron, 1869-1948 1
- Roberts, Lester 1
- Tomlinson, H. M. (Henry Major), 1873-1958 1
- Trollope, Anthony, 1815-1882 1 ∧ less