Elias Hicks Blackburn papers
Scope and Contents
Contains records on the early ecclesiastical history of Provo, Utah. Records include accounts of sermons of the period by several prominent leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during the Mormon Reformation, and document the response of the community, including rebaptisms and Church disciplinary matters. Also includes Blackburn's personal family record, and records of donations by Loa (Utah) Ward members for the building of the Manti Temple during Blackburn's tenure as bishop. Dated 1851-1887.
- Blackburn, Elias Hicks, 1827-1908 (creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Originals restricted due to fragile condition. Photocopies and transcriptions available for some items.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to use material from this collection must be obtained from Reference Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Elias Hicks Blackburn was born 17 September 1827 in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, to Thomas Blackburn and Elizabeth Bone. He was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in April 1845. After his baptism, he assisted with the construction of the Nauvoo Temple and in 1846 took part in the Saint's exodus west.
Elias Blackburn twice served as a bishop in the Church. He was called as the first bishop of Provo, Utah Territory, in 1851. Blackburn was appointed bishop of Loa, Utah, in 1879, although he was not formally set apart until 1885. He served in that capacity until 1889. He was married to six plural wives in his lifetime.
Elias Hicks Blackburn died at Loa, Utah, on 6 April 1908.
1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated to Ansel V. Blackburn of Provo, Utah, in December 1985. The Seventy Record Book was previously in the Partridge Collection (MSS 1544) and was added to this collection because of Blackburn's involvement as bishop.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated; Ansel V. Blackburn; December 1985.
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Copies
Photocopies and transcription of the record of Mass Quorum available in folders 2-3; photocopy of record book kept by Elias Blackburn as Bishop of Provo in folder 6.
Processed and updated; Ryan K. Lee; March 2020.
- Account books
- Church Government
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Loa Ward (Loa, Utah)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Provo 3rd Ward (Provo, Utah)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Provo Ward (Provo, Utah)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Thirty-fourth Quorum of the Seventy
- Loa (Utah) -- History
- Manti Temple (Manti, Utah)
- Melchizedek Priesthood (Mormon Church) -- Seventies
- Minutes (Records)
- Mormon Reformation, 1856-1857
- Provo (Utah) -- History
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858)
- Register of Elias Hicks Blackburn papers
- Leslie Evens
- 2011 November 21
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.