Skip to main content

McCune School of Music and Art student records

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: UA 5657

Scope and Contents

Contains student records (transcripts and registration documents) generated by the McCune School of Music and Art. Materials date from 1920 to 1952.

Dates

  • 1920-1952

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the McCune School of Music and Art student records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The L.D.S. School of Music (1920-1924) was a private music school in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The L.D.S. School of Music was initially established as the Music Department of the Latter-day Saints University under B. Cecil Gates. In 1920 the president of the university, Guy C. Wilson, reorganized the department as a private music school. First located in the Gardo House, it was moved to the McCune Mansion in April 1921. The school also operated offices in the Historian's Office building and the Assembly Hall. The faculty provided junior college course instruction in piano, voice, violin, cello, drums, woodwinds, brass, music theory, drama, and dance. In 1924 the school was renamed the McCune School of Music and Art.

Administrative History

The McCune School of Music and Art (1924-1957) was a private school for music and art in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The McCune School of Music and Art was previously known as the L.D.S. School of Music, which was renamed in 1924. The school was located in the McCune Mansion in Salt Lake City, Utah, and initially offered junior college-level courses in music and dance. The school was accredited by the the National Association of Schools of Music in 1928, and an art program was started in 1939. However, in 1942 the administration began to reposition the school as a preparatory school of junior high and high school students. In 1952 the school became a branch of Brigham Young University. Due to problems with accreditation, it was disassociated with the university in 1956 and closed by the Church Board of Education in 1957.

Extent

1 box (0.5 linear ft.)

Language

English

Arrangement

Materials are arranged alphabetically.

Custodial History

Materials were created by the McCune School of Music and Art and transferred to the Brigham Young University Registrar's Office sometime after 1952 when the McCune School of Music and Art was merged with the university's Department of Music. The Registrar's Office transferred the materials to the University Archives in October 2013.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred; Registrar's Office; October 2013.

Appraisal

University history (University Archives collecting policy, February 2010).

Related Materials

See also the McCune School of Music and Art minutes (MSS 1870) and the McCune School of Music and Art records (MSS 249).

Processing Information

Processed; J. Gordon Daines III; December 2013.

Creator

Title
Register of the McCune School of Music and Art student records
Status
Completed
Author
J. Gordon Daines III
Date
18 December 2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US