Skip to main content

Department of Chemical Engineering records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: UA 1367

Scope and Contents

Contains budget records, research reports, notebooks, correspondence, class notes, class handouts and outlines, student files, Faculty Council meeting minutes, faculty correspondence and contracts, and the research files of Calvin Bartholomew. Dated 1960-1987.

Dates

  • 1960-1987

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Restricted. Closed for 35 years from the date of creation of the records, and thereafter open to the public in accordance with the University Archives Policy.

Conditions Governing Use

It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Department of Chemical Engineering records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.

Administrative History

The Department of Chemical Engineering Science (1958-1977) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Chemical Engineering Science was established in 1958. Part of the College of Physical and Engineering Science, the department focused on teaching and training students in the fundamental principles of the physical sciences. In addition, courses and instruction in engineering were an integral element in the department programs. The undergraduate program was first accredited in 1961 and has been accredited ever since. A Master's degree in chemical engineering was approved in 1962, and the PhD program received approval in 1968.

In 1973, the department fell under the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology, until 1977, when the department was changed to the Department of Chemical Engineering.

Department chairs included Billings Brown (1958-1960), James J. Christensen (1960-1961), Dee H. Barker (1961-1966), Bill J. Pope (1966-1972), and L. Douglas Smoot (1972-1973).

Administrative History

The Department of Chemical Engineering (1977-2004) was an instructional unit at Brigham Young University.

The Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1977. Originally the Department of Chemical Engineering Science, the name was changed and the department was placed under the College of Engineering Sciences and Technology. The department offers professional training and degrees at the Bachelor's, Master's, and PhD levels, with the intention of creating new technologies and products to improve the quality of life.

Department chairs include Dee H. Barker (1978-1979), Richard W. Hanks (1979-1985), Douglas N. Bennion (1985-1991), Richard L. Rowley (1991-1996), Kenneth A. Solen (1996-2002) and W. Vincent Wilding (2002-2004).

Biographical History

Calvin H. Bartholomew (born 1943) was a professor of chemical engineering in Utah.

Calvin H. Bartholomew was born in 1943. He attended Brigham Young University and received a bachelor of science in Chemical Engineering in 1968. After his undergraduate work, he attended Standford University and received both his master's degree (1970) and Ph.D. (1972) in chemical engineering.

Using this education, he worked for Corning Glass Works in New York as Senior Chemical Engineer in Automotive Emissions Control and Surface Chemistry Research. In 1973, Bartholomew joined the Brigham Young University Chemical Engineering faculty, where he taught courses in treating kinetics, catalysis, catalyst deactivation, air pollution control, creativity, and engineering materials.

Bartholomew is a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, the California Catalysis Society, founder of The Rocky Mountain Fuel Society, member of Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi, and the founder of the Western States Catalysis Club. He has received numerous awards and achievements from these groups and universities, conducted many research projects on catalysis and combustion, and authored or co-authored five books and 120 papers.

He is now an emeritus faculty member and research professor at Brigham Young University.

Extent

3 cartons (3 linear ft.)

Language

English

Custodial History

Found in the stacks in May 2007.

Appraisal

Departmental records (University Archives collecting policy, July 2003).

Processing Information

Processed; Gordon Daines III; 2007.

Title
Register of Department of Chemical Engineering records
Status
Completed
Author
Sarah Flinders
Date
April 14, 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English in Latin script.

Repository Details

Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections. University Archives Repository

Contact:
1130 HBLL
Brigham Young University
Provo UT 84602 US