Biographical sketch of the life of Luman Andros Shurtliff
Scope and Contents
Typewritten condensation of the original journal of Shurtliff, a businessman, politial and religious leader, Mormon missionary and patriarch, which tells of his early life in Ohio, religious revivals, conversion to Mormonism, marriages, missionary work, mobs in Far West, Missouri, expulsion from Nauvoo, Illinois, immigration to Utah, life in Weber County, Utah, and military preparations against Johnston's Army.
- Lillywhite, Eva J., 1877-1956 (author, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for public research.
Conditions Governing Use
It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Biographical sketch of the life of Luman Andros Shurtliff, 1807-1864 must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
207 p. (0.08 linear ft.)
Language of Materials
Donated in 1974.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
Existence and Location of Originals
Original journal located in the Historical Department of the Latter-day Saint Church, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Typescript includes prefatory and postscript material.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- History
- Far West (Mo.) -- History
- Mormon missionaries
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History
- Nauvoo (Ill.) -- History -- 19th century
- Ogden (Utah) -- History
- Polygamy -- Religious aspects -- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Shurtliff, Luman Andros, 1807-1884
- Utah Expedition (1857-1858)
- Weber County (Utah) -- History
- Register of Biographical sketch of the life of Luman Andros Shurtliff
- Benjamin Sipes
- 2010 June 8
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
Part of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Repository
Brigham Young University
Provo Utah 84602 United States